Ch. 23 Quiet

A month had passed since I last saw Henry and I still had no idea where Rick took him. Life had been fairly normal other than Henry being gone. I hadn't even heard from Rick. The quiet scared me. I stood the the kitchen looking out at the calm world outside and wondered why Rick hadn't made any other attempts to contact me. The burner phone sat on the table silent.

"Rebecca," Ariana said as I faced her.

"Yes Ari?" I asked as she walked toward me.

"Do you think Rick gave up?" Ariana asked as I shook my head.

"No I don't. If Rick gave up he would release Henry to me," I said a flash of pain filling my heart. "I'm going for a walk." I muttered grabbing a gun on my way out the door. I couldn't handle this discussion right now. Ariana didn't try to stop me as I stepped into the cool fall air. I walked down the street thinking of Henry.

"Hey Cupcake," Henry said as I stepped into the gym.

"Hi," I smiled as he flipped me onto the mat. I laughed before I pulled him to the ground next to me.

"Should have seen that coming," Henry smirked as I sat up.

"You really should have mister army," I teased as I got to my feet.

"So what brings royalty into my humble presence?" Henry said as I smacked his arm.

"I wanted to take you to lunch," I said as he jumped to his feet.

"You sure you have time to hang out with us commoners?" He said as I punched his arm slightly harder. I walked toward the exit Henry standing still.

"So you coming?" I yelled over my shoulder. Henry ran to catch up draping his arm over my shoulders.

"Please tell me I get to eat pizza," Henry begged as I laughed. As if I would take him anywhere other than a pizza shop. We drove  to the restaurant ten minutes away. Henry sprinted to the front door holding it open for me. We headed to the booth at the back of the restaurant sitting on the worn and torn red seat cushions.

"So what kind of pizza?" I asked as his eyes locked onto mine.

"Is there any other kind?" He gasped in mock horror.

"Fine loaded pizza it is," I rolled my eyes as we waited for the pizza.

"So how's Ben?" Henry asked as I sipped on my pop.

"He's great," I said a small smile spreading across my lips. Ben and I had been dating for a few months but things were simple and easy. For some reason I didn't really want to go into detail with Henry.

"That's good," Henry said with a hint of irritation in his eyes. The pizza arrived saving us from awkward silence. I grabbed a piece taking a bite. Henry just watched me for a few minutes before he started eat. I hated what was happening to Henry and me. We used to be close, inseparable but since I met Ben our conversations had been strained and we didn't hang out as much. I tried to call Henry but he never answered my calls.

"So what have you been up to lately?" I tried once again to start another conversation between bites.

"I'm leaving," Henry said bluntly. My eyes widened as I put my food down.

"What, why?" I asked as his eyes stared at me.

"I am joining the council. Being with the council is a good opportunity for me," Henry said as I looked into his eyes. I didn't want him to leave but there was no reason for him to stay.

"When are you leaving?" I asked as he finished his pizza.

"In a few hours," he said as betrayal filled my body. He didn't plan on telling me.

"I'm going to miss you," I said as he scoffed.

"Sure you will," he said tossing a twenty on the table. "Have fun with Ben."

"Henry wait," I called tossing thirty more dollars on the table before I ran out of the restaurant after Henry. Henry didn't wait for me in fact he must have ran to get away from me. Tears filled my eyes as I thought of losing my best friend.

I wiped the tears streaming down my face at the memory. I thought I missed him so much then but now I know nothing compares to the pain I felt presently. My best friend, my love, taken by a cruel man who wants nothing more than my pain. I reached the restaurant from the memory and more tears escaped down my cheeks.

"Rebecca," Ben's voice called. I turned toward him as he wrapped me in his arms as tears fell more rapidly. "What's wrong?"

"Henry's gone," I sobbed as Ben stiffened. He didn't expect me to say that but my agony wouldn't let me hold back the words. "I love him and he's gone." Ben released me his thumb brushing the tears from my face.

"Losing him may hurt right now but eventually the pain will fade and when it does I'll be waiting," Ben's words slapped me across the face sending anger roaring through me. He thought he could capitalize on my vulnerability and wiggle his way back into my life. I glared at him pushing his hand away from me.

"How can you say that?!" I growled as his eyes widened.

"He's dead," he said more forcefully.

"When I said gone I meant taken not killed," I snapped harshly. Ben didn't miss a beat.

"If he isn't dead he will be soon. Why would anyone want to keep him alive?" Ben asked as I turned away from him. "To keep him alive means putting themselves in danger."

"Stay away from me," I couldn't believe Ben would say such heartless things to me. Henry had been right, Ben wasn't who I thought he was. Ben gripped my arm trying to make me face him. I ripped free of his grasp as I took off running. I didn't stop until I entered Henry's apartment. I locked myself in Henry's room and cried myself to sleep, my emotional wounds oozing with agony once more.