Ch. 29 Long Days

I woke up early in the morning. I got out of the unfamiliar bed as the events of yesterday came rushing back. Rick took me prisoner and I let him. I knew I should have killed Rick because I could save everyone else but being faced with sacrificing a child wouldn't allow me to think logically. I looked around the large room. Three chairs sat in the corner of the room. Two large bookcases ran along the walls. I walked to the door twisting the knob. My lips parted as the door opened. Rick didn't think I would escape so either he had guards down the hall or something important enough to keep me here. The door shut as I strode over to the bookcase. The books were bland at best and not the least bit helpful to me. I walked over to the mirror hanging on the white wall.

My eyes had large purple bags under them from stress and lack of sleep. My once bright eyes stared dully at my reflection. I looked sick. I sighed sitting on the bed trying to think of a solution to my problem. I jumped as the door opened. Rick waltzed in with a plate of food. He set the plate on the nightstand turning to face me.

"Eat," he said sitting in one of the dark green chairs. I hated how Rick ordered me around but I ate anyway. Once I took the last bite Rick grabbed my hand pulling me from the room.

"What are you doing?" I asked as he ignored me. My question was answered quickly. Rick yanked me outside where my mother and sister stood waiting for me. "No you can't be here!" Rick's grip on my hand tightened as he pulled me against his body. I felt the blade before I saw the metal pushing firmly against my side.

"We will help you just let Rebecca go," my mother pleaded as a sharp pain rushed through me. He cut my side with the knife. I held back a whimper unwilling to give him the satisfaction.

"One life isn't more important," I yelled in spite of the cold blade sticking out of my side.

"That's where you are wrong sweetie," my mother said a tear slipping down her face.

"Rick please don't hurt her," Ariana begged as Rick smirked.

"She's useless to me now," Rick said when a shot echoed through the air. The bullet blasted Rick back as I staggered forward. I fell onto the grass glancing back at Rick. He glared at me as blood oozed from his shoulder. Rick's eyes flickered to Ariana as he started to shift. Swiftly without hesitation I took on my Lycan form putting myself in front of Ariana. My side throbbed with pain as the warm liquid soaked my sandy fur. Rick's teeth sunk into my my shoulder as I blocked him from reaching Ariana. I moved with precision as I broke free of Rick's hold. My jaw locked around Rick's neck. He struggled for a moment until I heard his bones crack. Rick went limp as I dropped him. The moment he died chaos filled the facility. I breathed heavily as I turned human. Ariana wrapped her arm around me supporting my weight.

"We have to go," my mother yelled running for the car.

"We can't," I said softly. "We need to get to the lab in the middle of the facility. We need to destroy the serum and all my blood they took."

"No you are too injured to go back," Ariana started leading me toward the car. I grabbed the gun off her hip shoving her to the ground. My body cried out in pain as I limped into the facility. Ariana's pleas grew faint as I raced through the facility. A man rushed toward me as I fired a round into his head. Two more men approached me guns drawn. I took a small breath before killing the first while spinning out of the way of the bullets flying toward me. The next round plunged through the other man's head. I reached the lab shooting the lock. My eyes found the lab technician as I aimed for his head. I squeezed the trigger before finding all the blood I could. I put the blood in a pile in the middle of the room before getting onto the computer. I found the formula before dragging it to the trash. I emptied the trash hoping no one had the skills to retrieve the deleted files. I found a Bunsen burner turning the gas on high. I turned stealthy walking down the hallway. I froze as a woman sprinted toward the lab. I didn't have time to wait so I fired a bullet into the lab igniting the gas. The blast sent me flying. My head bounced off the ground as my gun slid across the floor. I coughed looking myself over. I had dirt all over my body as blood dripped from the back of my head. A piece of the wall pinned my leg. I tried to free my leg but I couldn't. The smoke filled my lungs making the air thick. My body needed clean air but there was none. At least if I died I saved the pack from destruction. I allowed myself to think of Henry. I knew I couldn't escape from the flames eating their way toward me. I thought of his smile and his chocolate gaze that saw all of me. A small smile tugged at my lips as I imagine his arms around me. I pictured everything our lives could have been, a wedding and kids. I found myself wishing for more time. I wanted to be able to hold Henry's wrinkled hand as we reminisced about our lives. Darkness swam across my vision as I relaxed against the hard floor. I knew I failed Henry, I wasn't careful but reckless. My reckless behavior led to this, my imminent death. Oh Henry, I'm so sorry...