Ch. 3 Lovely

Within two hours my mother arrived at the house.

"Sweetie," my mother rushed to me.

"She was so strong. I don't understand how someone killed her so easily. She didn't have any defensive wounds," I muttered as she sat next to me.

"We will figure this out together," she said as I leaned my head against the wall.

"I feel like this is just the beginning," I said softly.

"Where is the body now?" She asked me.

"The lab," I said getting to my feet. "I need some air."

"Take a gun with you," my mother called to me. I clipped my gun to my thigh as I stepped into the cool fall air. I walked down the street until I reached the gym. I stiffened, blood on the steps. I pulled my phone out instantly. "There is blood on the gym steps."

"Be right there," my mother said. I waited for her to show up. She took swabs of the blood as I walked carefully into the gym. I drew my gun seeing the cruel rookie standing in the middle of the gym not moving.

"Daniel," I yelled aiming the gun at his back. He didn't move. My heart pounded as I clutched my gun tightly. I circled him slowly freezing once I saw his face. Blood dripped from a gash on his face and his eyes vacant. I noticed a thin wire holding him up. "Mom!" She entered the gym her eyes landing on the body hanging from the ceiling.

"That's slightly horrifying. That's a lot of trouble the killer went to just to scare someone," my mother said strangely calm. My lips parted slightly seeing his arm. I put my gun away picking his arm up. I rolled his sleeve back revealing a wolf tattoo. The fact he had the tattoo only added to my list of questions. Humans joined bio Lycans not genetic Lycans.

"Why do you think he has this tattoo?" I asked as my mother stiffened.

"We need to take a second look at Jessie. Maybe she has the tattoo as well," my mother said before calling a team to get the body out of the gym. I strode out of the gym as my emotions swirled around me. Memories struck me as fear gripped me. Images of Rick still fresh in my mind. My anxiety rose as my heels clicked against the sidewalk. My phone rang causing me to jump.

"Hello," I said softly.

"Becca, where are you?" Henry asked as I looked around.

"I'm by the gym," I muttered as he sighed.

"I'm coming," he hung up. I watched as five minutes later Henry's car pulled up. He got out wrapping me in his arms. His embrace released my tension as slowed my erratic heartbeat. "How are you doing?"

"I can't get Rick out of my head," I murmured. "I know this is somehow linked to the bio Lycans but I'm confused how."

"Aren't they all dead?" Henry asked as I sighed.

"My mother said they all died when the building collapsed but now I am unsure that was the case," I whispered to him.

"I promise we will figure this out Becca," Henry said firmly. "Let's go eat."

"Okay," I climbed into his car allowing him to drive to his apartment. He parks the car as I got out. I entered his apartment thinking only of the new threat facing us. I couldn't relax even as Henry started cooking. I watched Henry seasoning the steaks before walking onto the patio to place them on the grill.

"Rebecca," Henry said pulling me from my thoughts.

"Yes," I said looking into his concerned gaze.

"Are you okay?" Henry asked as I sighed.

"I'm concerned about the rest of the pack. I am not worried about myself but rather the safety of those I care about," I said softly. Henry took my hand in his.

"I promise nothing will happen to me," Henry said without hesitation. "You aren't going to lose me Becca." Tears filled my violet gaze as fear flooded me.

"I can't lose you Henry," I sobbed as he held me close. "I wouldn't survive without you."

"I would defy death for you Rebecca," Henry said as I buried my face in his chest. "I love you."

"I love you so much Henry. I love you so much that I can imagine myself without you," I said softly as I slowly began to calm. I wiped the tears from my face slipping from Henry's arms. He gave one last glance at me before turning his attention back to the food. I walked back into his apartment sitting on the couch. I curled up turning the tv on. My lips parted seeing the headline, serial killer on the loose. I saw the same bite mark except the victim was human. Lovely, the killer made the news and targeting everyone. I shut off the tv quickly not wanting to think about this any longer. If I didn't think of something else I wouldn't be able to function. If I couldn't function I couldn't catch the killer. Henry handed me a plate of food sitting down beside me. I ate the meat in silence. Neither of us felt like talking and both of us felt the tension in the air. I finished the juicy steak getting to my feet. I put the plate in the sink before shooting my sister a text.

Me: Staying at Henry's tonight. Tell mom.

Ari: okay just be careful.

I set my phone on the counter running my fingers through my hair. Henry's arms snaked around me from behind. I leaned back against him letting his touch blot out the events of the day. I faced him my lips caressing him gently. Henry picked me up as my legs wrapped around his body. He carried me into the bedroom as I ran my fingers through his hair. Our breath mixed together as his lips hovered inches from mine. Electricity crackled across my lips as my eyes searched his. I loved Henry more than I could express and saw the same sentiment reflected in his chocolate eyes. He was everything.