Ch. 2 New Alpha

I got up early eating a bowl of cereal.

"Hey Rebecca. You excited for your first day as Alpha?" My sister asked as I grinned.

"Most definitely," I said firmly.

"So what are your plans today?" She asked as I sighed.

"Nothing unfortunately. The first meeting isn't until tomorrow," I said softly.

"So you can go to the mall with me?" Ariana asked as I rolled my eyes.

"Fine," I said as she ran to get her purse. I got in the passenger seat as Ariana smiled at me.

"I can't wait to hang out with you. We haven't done anything normal in a while," Ariana said parking the car. Ariana looped her arm through mine pulling me into the busy mall.

"So where to first?" I asked her.

"I got an invite to a Halloween party so I need a costume," Ariana said as we walked into the Halloween store.

"So what kind of costume are you looking for?" I asked as she shrugged.

"I hadn't really thought about that yet," she said as I saw a clown mask. I put the mask on draping my arm over her shoulders. I took a quick selfie as she stiffened beside me. Ari hated clowns. I put the mask back as Ariana grabbed a pirate costume. "Why do girl costumes have to be so revealing. I just want a functional costume."

"Ariana, these costumes aren't even that revealing," I laughed as she sighed. She grabbed a few other costumes before yanking me toward the changing rooms. I watched her try on several costumes; pirate, zombie, superhero, football player, and a soldier.

"Which one?" She asked as I looked at the costumes.

"I think soldier is very you," I said after a minute. "If you want to try something new you could be a pirate."

"Soldier it is," she said firmly. "Are you getting a costume?"

"I want one but at the same time where would I wear the costume?" I said as she grinned.

"Come with me to the party!" She squealed as I smirked.

"Okay let's go find me a costume," I said stepping out of the dressing room. I wandered around the store until I found a costume that drew me toward it. I plucked white gown off the rack. I headed into the dressing room to slip the knee high fabric over my body pulling the spaghetti straps over my shoulders. I put on the white feathery wings on as my sister laughed.

"Of course you picked the angel costume," she smiled. I changed back into my clothes before walking to the front to buy the outfits. My sister and I walked out of the store as my sister faced me. "I need a new phone case." I followed her to the kiosk. "I'm glad you came with me."

"Me too," I said as she grabbed a blue glitter case.

"So how have things been going with your boy?" She teased. I couldn't contain the smile spreading across my face.

"Things have been great. He is so supportive and I find myself thinking about him all the time. It's kind of distracting actually," I said as she laughed.

"Have you guys discussed the future at all yet?" Ariana asked as I paused.

"We vaguely talked about our jobs but we haven't had a serious discussion," I said as we walked down the hall.

"You guys have been together for a while now," Ariana said as I rolled my eyes.

"So, I have been really busy. We haven't had the time to have a discussion about where we are going," I said as Ariana sighed.

"If you both are serious about your relationship you both need to make time," Ariana said firmly.

"I know but I have been enjoying the ease of our relationship I just wanted to enjoy it before we have the future talk," I said as Ariana nodded. My phone rang ending our discussion. "Hello."

"I have something you need to see," Henry said as I stiffened.

"Ugh, we will be right there," I said hanging up.

"What's wrong?" Ariana asked as I pulled her toward the car.

"Not sure yet," I muttered driving us back to the house. I drove halfway home when I came upon a huge crowd blocking the road. I pulled over grabbing my gun out of the glovebox. "Stay here."

"Why?" She asked but I ignored her. I pushed my way through the crowd finding Henry crouched next to a body. My heart dropped, Jessie.

"What happened?" I asked as Henry stood up.

"I found her like this," Henry said as I pinched the bridge of my nose.

"She clearly was murdered but the question is who and why?" I muttered looking at the pack members surrounding us. I knelt down moving her hair to look at the wound on her throat. The wound was weird, almost like a bite mark but not quite. No Lycan left a mark like that with their teeth. "Take her to the lab quietly." I told Henry before walking back to the car.

"So what happened?" Ariana asked as I got in. I took a deep breath before starting the car.

"A trainee was killed," I said driving the rest of the way home.

"Why do you seem so worried, it's not like she was a top fully trained fighter," Ariana said as my grip tightened on the steering wheel.

"She held her own against me Ariana," I said parking the car. "If someone killed her we are all at risk." I got out of the car, so much for normalcy. I stepped into the house Ariana right behind me. I leaned against the wall trying to process all the information I had to determine the best way to handle the situation. I pulled out my phone calling my mom. Minimally I needed to fill my mother in about Jessie.

"Hey baby," my mother said.

"Something happened," I whispered. "A rookie was killed, our best rookie and I don't know who or what killed her."

"I'm coming home," she hung up on me as I sat on the ground. Life had just started to feel normal and now we were falling head first into another battle.