Ch. 31 Council

The next day the council asked to see me. I stood in front of the mirror in my pink knee high silk dress. I had my hair pulled up into a messy up do. I turned away from the hallway mirror. My nude pumps clicked across the floor as I walked toward the meeting hall. Henry's hand rested on my lower back as I stepped into the meeting hall.

"Rebecca," the council leader smiled.

"Sir," I smiled politely.

"We brought you here to thank you for your hard work. You went above what we asked you to do and for that we are grateful," he said firmly.

"I would do anything for my pack," I said my cheeks flushing with embarrassment. I didn't need to be thanked for doing the right thing.

"For that reason we want to offer you two choices, one become the Alpha or you can choose to stay the way you are," he said as I glanced at my mother. She smiled encouragingly at me. She didn't care what I picked.

"Thank you for the opportunity," I paused. I wanted to be Alpha but I was so young. I didn't expect this to happen so soon. "But I don't want to be Alpha yet. Maybe in a few years after I learn more from my mother maybe but I want to be sure I'm ready before I jump in."

"You have your father's wisdom. He once told me the best Alpha is one who doesn't wish to be Alpha," he smiled at me. "I look forward to you becoming Alpha someday."

"Thank you Sir," I said softly. We were dismissed quickly after that. Henry pulled me away from the meeting hall to our tree. This tree was the tree we would sneak out to during the boring pack meets. Henry climbed up to the third branch as I kicked off my heels. I followed him sitting on the branch in front of him.

"Do you remember the day your mom caught us up here?" Henry asked as I laughed.

"Yes, she ran over here swearing up a storm and saying how as the Alpha's daughter I should respect her rules. She then started lecturing us about how we could have fallen and hurt ourselves," I smirked at Henry.

"She yelled at you the most," Henry laughed.

"She liked you. Even after the tree incident she asked when you were coming over again. I wonder if she knew you were my mate back then?" I muttered leaning against the tree.

"When did you figure out we were mates?" Henry asked me.

"You took my cupcake and from then I couldn't see anyone else, you made everything fade away and even with my anger I wanted to hang out with you. While I didn't have romantic feelings at that moment I knew you were special," I said thinking back to that day. "When did you figure out we were mates?"

"The day I lost you. You almost died in my arms and when you woke I couldn't be near you. The pain I felt being away from you was like nothing I had felt before. I couldn't walk down the street without wishing you stood beside me," Henry smiled. "Your mother caught me once. I snuck to your house after she ordered me to stay away to see you. She lost it but she never punished me. I took every opportunity I could to see you. Just a glimpse was all I needed." My breath hitched as he spoke and my lips parted. I pressed my lips to his while balancing on the branch. A blast of heat scorched every inch of me. My heart raced as our lips melded together.

"Seriously. Do you never learn that climbing trees is dangerous," my mother yelled from below us. Henry and I pulled apart as I jumped down. Henry stifled a laugh as my mother eyes watched in horror as I hit the grass.

"Sorry Gwen," Henry called climbing down carefully. I took the clip out of my hair as my mother crossed her arms.

"At least you aren't as bad as your sister," my mother said after a moment. Henry clasped my hand as we followed my mother to the car.

"What did your sister do?" Henry whispered in my ear.

"Went to a party with humans and drank a lot of tequila," I muttered as Henry laughed.

"So we shouldn't tell her about senior year the first time around?" He said as I smacked his side. "Sorry, I was just checking." We rode toward the Alpha compound which had been cleaned up. I could finally go home. I curled up against Henry in the backseat as my mother pulled the car to a stop. My sister stood outside waiting for us along with Ben and his little sister. I sighed, I didn't want to talk to Ben but I tolerated him for Katie. I got out of the car as Katie ran into my arms.

"Becca," she smiled as I picked her up.

"Katie," I said as she rested on my hip. "How are you?" I saw a flash of pain in her gaze.

"Our parents didn't make it out of the attack," Ben said bluntly. I blamed myself for the attack on Katie. If I hadn't dated Ben Rick wouldn't have targeted them.

"I'm sorry to hear that," I said as Katie tightened her grip on me. Henry took my free hand sensing my guilt.

"Katie wanted to make sure you were okay," Ben said as I nodded.

"I'm great," I said softly though I didn't fully believe myself. Only time would heal my emotional wounds.

"Katie, we should go. Rebecca seems busy," Ben stared at my hand that clung to Henry.

"Okay," Katie sighed as I set her down.

"Come back anytime you want," I said as she walked over to Ben. I waited until they drove away to enter the house. I was in my house but my home was with my family and it always would be. Family is everything.