// 5. Skies Fading //

At the pizza restaurant, Tyler stayed quiet. His mind was having a little trouble processing everything: he lived in a new house, he didn't have his attic anymore, he was out in a strange new place with strange new people.

Not that he'd known that many people in his old neighborhood.

Back home, he still had to unpack his clothes, along with the box of miscellaneous items, but it would have to wait for a little while. He figured it'd be fine; he had all of tomorrow, too.

There would be a new school to go to on Monday. Tyler's father had found it, and seemed pleased that he had. Apparently, it was a Christian school, with lots of good teachers. Tyler would even have to wear a uniform. He'd never worn one at his old school, but since it wasn't something he could change, he'd just have to deal with it.

It was already almost December, so the other students were just about settled into their school years. Tyler wished his parents could have decided to move back in August, so he wouldn't be the only one with a fresh start.

He hoped he'd get a good art teacher. His last one had tried to make him turn in some of the paintings he made at home for extra credit, and Tyler had refused. He'd always hated that teacher.

As he ate his four-cheese pizza, Tyler's mind frequently slipped back into its artist's world, noting the color of the walls in the restaurant, and the not entirely round shape of the pizza, and the pattern of the dark green upholstery seats--

Then something caught his eye, a flash of something blue, a change in the mostly brown restaurant. Tyler lifted his head from his food to see a group of teenagers, seemingly his age, ordering a takeout pizza.

There were five of them, and they all appeared to be boys. Tyler almost went back to his pizza but stopped when he realized what the flash of color was--one of the boys had blue hair.

It was an interesting shade of blue, and Tyler couldn't help studying it. It was the kind of blue that made him think of skies fading at night or the feeling you got sitting alone in the dark. Yes, that was it.

The boy with the blue hair suddenly glanced over to Tyler, and he quickly went back to his pizza.