// 61. Spark Something //

A/N: This chapter is kind of long. I included one of Josh's poems, so yeah

"Want to hear something I wrote?"

Tyler sleepily lifted his head from Josh's chest. School was out, and they were at Josh's house. Tyler had texted his mom to let her know that he was going there, and that Josh's mom was home; luckily, she had agreed to let him go. Perhaps she felt bad about how their discussion had ended yesterday.

Of course, they were acting more like lovers than friends, but she didn't need to know that.

Josh's mom had no problem with the bedroom door being closed, so that was the way it was. Josh was laying on his bed, eyes closed, and Tyler atop him. On certain days, when they were tired from family or school or anything, this was how they recuperated together--one laying down, the other on top, just dozing and sharing body heat. 

Tyler liked both, but being on top felt most comfortable. He liked resting his head on Josh's chest, and hearing his heartbeat. He liked rising and falling ever so slightly as Josh breathed. He liked playing with Josh's hair with his fingers, just moving his hands through those blue curls again and again.

Josh would always mumble something about a kitten sleeping on a bulldog, and Tyler would roll his eyes, and smile, and kiss him.

"It's about you," Josh added, eyes still closed.

"Mmm," Tyler hummed, which, to most people, would be neither a yes or no response. Josh, however, understood that this meant yes, and he reached out onto his desk to grasp his blue notebook. He flipped to the appropriate page, then began to read.

"Eyes flicking over to a figure in the halls.
Boy at a desk, all thought and no voice.
First words falling on a leaf-strewn sidewalk.
How do these things turn to others?
A birthday gift given late at night.
A dance that never fulfilled its name.
We dive deeper, you pull me in.
Now you are the one to spark something.
Soft kisses under the glow of a porch light.
Running hand in hand in a rainstorm.
We've become something pure.
You're a holy spirit, I'm just a follower.
Dozing together in the late afternoon.
We eagerly share nothing and everything.
Doe eyes peering at me from the blankets.
We evolve, like all creatures, and we spread our wings."

Josh lightly shut the notebook again, then looked to his lover.

Tyler's eyes were closed. He opened them. "I don't have doe eyes," was all he said.

The blue-haired boy smiled in that special way he seemed to reserve only for Tyler, because he knew that he liked what he had written. "Yeah, you do." He held Tyler's face in his hand for a moment, brushing his thumb over his cheek. "I love them."

"I love you," Tyler said simply.

"Why's that?" Josh brushed Tyler's cheek again, and it was nice. He closed his eyes.

"I love you for a lot of reasons. Some of those reasons make sense--like, I love you for your personality, and how you look, and how you treat others--but some of those reasons don't make as much sense." The smaller boy paused thoughtfully. "I think it's just as much about how your eyes squint when you smile, and how you kiss my hands like I'm something special." He paused again. "I know that probably doesn't make much sense."

"It makes plenty of sense to me," Josh replied. His voice was warm and honeyed, how it always sounded when he was sleepy. "I love you, too. I love your doe eyes, which you most definitely have. I love your creativity and your skill with painting. I love your hands. You have artist's hands, narrow fingers and chipped nails," he elaborated.

Tyler smiled and tugged on one of Josh's blue curls as he went on.

"I love all these amazing words you just know, like catharsis. I love your soft voice, I love your scuffed red sneakers, I love your chapped lips." He opened his eyes to look at Tyler, whose eyes were already on him. "I love your perfections and your flaws. Sometimes I don't know which I love more."

"Kiss me," Tyler said softly, almost like a dare.

Josh was happy to comply.

A/N: Ahhhhh this chapter was so romantic oops
Kinda proud of it though