// 12. It Was Probably Mandatory //

Thankfully, none of the students idling outside of the school bothered Tyler or even glanced his way. Quickly, the newest student went inside, leaving the chilly world outdoors behind him.

The inside of the school, like the outside, was much nicer than Tyler's previous one. The halls were lined with lockers, dark blue like his tie. Thankfully, Tyler's mother had been sure to drill the number of his locker into his mind before he got to school--number twenty-one. Finding his locker among the others, Tyler carefully unlocked it using the key from his pocket, and he put a few things from his backpack inside. Since he carried much of his stuff around with him, however, the inside of the dark metal locker was still nearly bare.

Taking the class schedule from his pocket, Tyler eyeballed it. He walked down the hall for a while longer before eventually arriving at his homeroom. 

Entering the room, he was relieved to find it empty. Tyler wasn't sure if there was assigned seating or not, but he sat at a desk in the third row--not too close to the front, but not too close to the back, either.

The classroom was empty, except for Tyler. He felt almost silly, sitting there by himself, and he silently wished that he hadn't rushed himself out of the house earlier that morning.

Tyler wasn't sure if he should stay where he was, or go explore around the school. In the end, he chose to sit at his desk and study his class schedule, and the map of the school that was stapled to the back.

As time went on, more students arrived, claiming seats all over the room. Tyler didn't lift his head from his papers, however, not wanting to make eye contact with anyone until he had memorized the school's layout.

Once Tyler was fairly certain he wasn't going to get lost, he finally put the papers back into his backpack and glanced around the room. The class was almost entirely full, and the homeroom monitor--who Tyler believed was also the math teacher--was at his desk, going through a folder.

Tyler had claimed a seat next to the window, along the left; he figured he'd feel more comfortable that way. Directly in front of him was a girl with a short black jacket, not really the kind you'd normally wear for winter. Tyler noted that she, like the rest of the female students, was wearing a skirt. It was probably mandatory.

Turning his head behind him for a swift moment, Tyler saw that a boy with dark hair and glasses sat there. Despite the almost nerdy appearance, a smirk played out on his face, and already Tyler wished he was sitting somewhere else. The student looked oddly familiar, although he wasn't sure where he'd seen him before.

With a slight glance to the student in the desk at his right, Tyler saw something a bit startling.

The boy sitting at the desk next to his had dark blue hair.

// Author's Note: Here's the incomplete list of what colors and emotions correspond, the way Tyler sees it
Red - Anger/Rebellion/Strength
Gray - Little or no emotions or feelings
Yellow - Happiness/Hope
Dark Blue - Aching sadness
Green - Physical pain and discomfort
Blue - Loneliness/Sadness
Orange - Confusion/Stress/Mental distress
Purple - Fear
Lavender - Anxiety/Worry