// 36. Halfway Through Basket Case //

It was silly, but the week before Christmas, Tyler's school hosted a Winter Dance. It was almost annoying to Tyler--the school was clearly looking to make more money--and he had decided early on not to go.

It had been a week with Tyler's new/old friendless life, and though it was unpleasant, he was starting to get used to it again. However, his painting had suffered; he had tried many times to work, but had become so angry and upset with his finished products that he couldn't even make himself repaint white over them to try again. He just threw them away.

Tyler was a frustrated, stressed artist, without his muse.

Walking home from school alone one afternoon, Tyler had his earbuds in. He had taken to listening to Green Day, Josh's favorite band. Even though he'd told himself he would cut off all ties connected to the other boy, the music was good, and it fit his mood.

He was halfway through Basket Case when he felt a hand on his shoulder, and was shoved roughly. Tyler stumbled, nearly fell, but caught himself and whipped around to face his attacker.

It was Brendon. Apparently, he still didn't know how to greet somebody without knocking them over.

Brendon gestured to Tyler's ears, and so the shorter boy reluctantly took his earbuds out, letting them hang loosely around his neck. "What do you want?" he found himself snapping.

"Shit, Tyler, calm down." Brendon raised his hands in a 'don't shoot the messenger' sort of way. "I just wanted to talk to you."

Tyler knew he should keep walking. He stayed where he was. "What about?"

"The Winter Dance," Brendon said. Tyler started walking again, in no mood for Brendon's flirtatious mannerisms. He didn't want to go to the dance with him, and he felt that Brendon should have known that. 

"Hey!" Brendon grabbed Tyler's shoulder, and Tyler stopped, turning to face him again. "It's not like that, okay? I wanted to ask you to go there with me and the rest of the clique. As a group."

"Why?"

"We miss having you around," Brendon said honestly. "Josh especially. He feels like he did something wrong."

Tyler looked away. "He didn't."

"Then show up," Brendon said. When Tyler didn't reply, he added, "Just think about it, okay?"

With hesitation, Tyler nodded. "Okay."