// 44. A Brave Maroon Smile //

Just like that, Tyler had been accepted back into the clique. Nobody really questioned why he had stopped hanging out with them in the first place, or why he had suddenly decided to come back. He was just back, and that was all that seemed to matter to them.

Tyler and Josh walked to lunch side by side again. Something about it had changed, however: any time Tyler looked at Josh, affection swirled around in his stomach, like butterflies. It was more intense than before, however. 

Looking at Josh was kind of like looking at the sun--it was so bright and shining and beautiful that you had to look away.

They didn't talk much, though Tyler really wanted to. He wasn't sure if it was the right time.

After school, they walked together again: this time, without the rest of the clique with them. Josh was quiet, and Tyler was, too, until they got about a block away from school.

"I'm sorry," Josh said. His eyes were on the ground as he walked, and he looked more blue than usual.

Tyler didn't really know what to say. "I'm sorry, too." He paused for a moment before adding, "It's okay."

He thought, briefly, about telling Josh not to kiss him any more, or that they should just be friends. But he didn't.

"Can I ask you something?" Josh said after a few more moments had passed.

Expecting Josh to ask him if he was gay, Tyler swallowed nervously. He wasn't sure how to answer that. "Yeah, of course."

"Do you want to come over to my house tomorrow after school?" When Tyler looked doubtful, Josh went on. "You don't have to, I just figured it'd be fair since I've been to yours a couple times."

Tyler was a little nervous about it, but he put on a brave maroon smile, and nodded. "Okay."

The smile on Josh's face was worth it.