// 57. Just As Silently //

There was a shriek, and a loud clatter as something dropped on the concrete floor of the garage. Suddenly filled with panic, Tyler pushed Josh away.

Tyler's mother stood at the door to the garage, looking stunned. On the ground was a plastic basket, knocked on its side, with assorted clothes scattered on the floor around it. She'd probably been coming to do the laundry.

A deep blue feeling, mingled with violet, washed over Tyler, and he realized it was shame.

Tyler's mother seemed to compose herself, and she grabbed onto the door handle. "Tyler, pick up this laundry and put it in the washer, please." She turned to leave, then stopped. "And when you're done, I want you to come inside. We need to talk."

Another wave of shame washed over Tyler, and then she closed the door.

Without a word, the small boy leaned down and started picking up the clothes his mother had dropped, putting them back into the plastic basket. Just as silently, Josh got to his knees and helped him.

"You should go," Tyler mumbled, feeling his cheeks grow hot with embarrassment.

"Are you sure?" Josh asked, but the other boy wouldn't meet his eyes. "Tyler, look at me."

Slowly, he turned his head from the laundry to look at Josh.

"Are you sure?" Josh repeated, and Tyler could see the worry in his eyes.

Tyler nodded slowly, but decisively. "Yeah. Yeah, I'll be okay." He put the last piece of dirty laundry in the basket, then lifted it up to dump it in the washer. He poured in some soap and shut the lid, turning on teh washer and looking at Josh, who was standing next to him. The light hum of the washer mingled with the dripping sounds of the rain.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" Josh asked, taking Tyler's hand for a moment.

The gesture brought Tyler back a little, and he nodded with a small smile. "Yeah."

Josh brought Tyler's hand up to his lips, kissed it gently, and then disappeared into the rain.