Chapter 3 Part 3 - Q&A

The General saw the hesitation in her eyes. He capped his hands to his side and lifted his chest into a proper military form, "I am General Ma Shu from the Wei Su Army in the Er Zao Shang Kingdom." His voice was loud and clear, stating his position without hesitation. "Now, it is only polite to give your own in response." He said softly, whispering as if telling her the page number of the textbook after the teacher called on her. He sounded like a friend. Or, at least an ally.

Addor hesitated. She watched the sincereness in the Ma Shu's eyes. Addor had lived on the street until she was seven years old and with unhonest characters after that. If there was nothing else she could be sure of, her judge of character was the one thing she believed in. She'd already made a list in her mind of people who might have killed her. On that list was the man who'd used poison against her to try and get out of his own death.

Addor lowered the short sword, "The boy called me Fan Rei." If she was going to put her trust in anyone, an honest character would be the best choice. Especially in a place like this.

"That's not your name?" Ma Shu's eyebrow jolted. He gave the order to put the weapons away and all five arrows found their way back into their slings.

"I don't know."

"Who's the boy?"

"Healed." Addor pointed to her stomach. She saw Ma Shu waiting for more and shrugged, "Don't know who." She held out the sword to return it to him.

"What do you know?" He sheathed his short sword.

Addor looked down, thinking. "He said I died."

The lack of answers she held could mean either that she's hiding something or... "You don't remember?"

Addor shook her head, "I don't know." It wasn't that she didn't remember but never knew in the first place. She didn't belong to an era where people used metal armor and swords. She'd never even seen a horse before.

Ma Shu still felt that something was off but left it for the time being. He pulled out a small round device and watched it for a moment as a light shown from the inside before putting it next to his mouth, "Orange, change of plan! Return to post! We are going to the Fan residence!"

"Sir! We've already hired the doctor!" A voice came from the palm-sized radio.

Ma Shu glanced at Addor, "Bring him to the Fan Residence!"

Watching him Addor was reminded of something. What was it...?

"Yes, Sir!"

Ma Shu swung up onto his horse than reached his hand out to pull Addor up. Addor accepted and was pulled up onto the horse behind him. As Addor rode behind Ma Shu she inspected her hands and poorly covered feet. There were even a few scars that she should have had that she'd checked for. She also found herself sitting on her long hair a couple of times. She promised herself to cut it down when she had the chance.

Though Ma Shu couldn't see her, he could feel her moving around. When he'd glanced back he saw her with her shoe off, wiggling her toes, and had to hold back his laughter. Seeing her actions only moved to reinforce his belief in her earlier words and he unconsciously let his guard loosen a bit.