Chapter 23 Part 4 - Mission Impossible

"You can't do this." Laoshi walked up to the elder. Seeing as the man wasn't responding he continued, "She's just a girl. You can't put her up against that... that thing. There's a reason we keep it locked up."

"You mean a reason you've kept it locked up until now."

"There's only one way to leash a thing like that." Laoshi looked down at the elder, looking like he was ready to bite his head off. "And she doesn't have either the power or the knowledge. That kind of power isn't even available to her. It's suicide, and you know it."

"There are no more firsts. Not here, not anymore." The man's eyes continued to stare at the board, but he wasn't seeing it.

"Than give her that, not some mission impossible!" Laoshi hissed.

The man stood up and finally looked Laoshi in the eye. His serious brown eyes looked into both of Laoshi's, "You might be able to change that man's mind, but you can't change mine. Nor can you ignore it. This is My School. It will follow the rules I have set. Nothing more. Nothing less."

"But don't you think that's too much? Sending a little girl after him? He's a monster! The only thing that cursed boy sees is his next kill."

The man sat back down. "I thought you could 'guarantee her strength', I thought you 'believe she will reach the top'." He repeated Laoshi's own words back to him.

Laoshi swallowed. He had said all that. "If this is to show me my place than I understand. But don't drag her into this! She's just a girl! She doesn't even know anything!" The more he spoke the more he got worked up and soon enough he was yelling. Not that he needed to, he already had the attention of the entire room.

"It's exactly that attitude that makes me do this. How can I trust you if you are always challenging me?"

Laoshi snorted and stomped from the room.

The elder turned back to his game, mumbling under his breath, "He's such a child. I'll near know why he was accepted over me into the society." He sighed and shook his head.

The room quickly returned to it's previous liveliness.