Chapter 8 Part 1 - Ghost

The door opened as Addor was trying to remove the tie around her waist. She looked up to see a dark-haired boy that seeing sent shivers down her spine. A memory of a burning sensation flipped to her mind and she quickly took up a defensive stance slowly moving away from the boy. It was the same person who had healed her and ran off.

"That's mean! How can you be so uptight on our second meeting?" He shrugged as if hurt but his expression was light as if he didn't really mean it.

A girl carrying a bucket walked in and passed through the boy, glancing at her misses stance as she did so. She walked into a back room and started dumping water into a tub and busied herself by getting her misses bath ready.

Addor watched her but kept her eyes on the boy. Can't she see him? Addor stared hard at him. It wasn't as if he was transparent, he was obviously solid.

"Only you can see me!" he said proudly. Then his face got serious, only the hint of a smile left as his voice lowered, "I told you- you died- this is your new life, and I am your guide!" His chest began to puff out again as he spoke and his voice got higher and his smile brighter the longer he talked, "I'm here to tell you all about the things you don't know so ask me anything!"

Addor relaxed her stance. There was something non-intimidating about him. Even so, she kept up her guard. She'd seen children brutally pound a man into pavement just for a small wad of cash. Though technically they were teenagers in the money business...

"Who am I?"

"You are Fan Rei now! She died, but it by no fault of her own and she has special abilities the higher-ups thought it was a waste. They chose you to take her place!" He smiled at her before his brows suddenly furrowed and he began looking her up and down with a contemplative look, "Though I don't know why they chose you... There should have been better choices..."

"Higher-ups?" What kind of 'higher-ups' could a spirit have?