Chapter 4 Part 3 - King Gossip

Everyone in the room stopped to watch the force-feeding. Even the man himself looked at Addor like he didn't know what was going on.

"Chew." Addor held it to his mouth.

When he started eating Addor pulled away and turned to her own plate as if nothing had happened. He quickly drank some tea to help the snack go down. Although startled, he seemed to relax.

Ma Shu quickly tried to explain, "When the healing stopped she started asking questions... She seems to have lost her memory." He explained, slightly weirded out himself.

The man's eyes snapped to the General's. "What?"

"Like I said, she seemed to have lost her memory. The boy who'd healed her called her by Fan Rei so we came here to see if his words were true."

He didn't move for a while until finally, he stood up, "Uh... Yes! Yes, this... she... Yes. Thank you for all your trouble." He bowed.

Ma Shu smiled and shook his head, motioning for him to stand. "No, on the other hand, thank you! I'd always thought the Fan family to be just as strict as the King, now I see that his easy-going side was passed down as well. I'm glad to know that that guy has so much talent and joy in the family! It really makes me feel relieved!" Ma Shu laughed, rubbing the back of his head as he opened up about the King. "Some of my subordinates are on their way with a doctor to check over miss Fan, if you don't mind."

"You went through all that trouble? Thank you very much!" He bowed again.

"No, no, pleasure is mine... hahaha!" Now that the serious talk was out of the way Ma Shu felt like a burden was lifted from his shoulders and he relaxed.

The two continued talking. They talked about political matters and laughed a few times at the King and his brother. The little man, who Addor came to know as Fan Chen, had lost his nerves and was now able to chat openly and happily. She was glad she'd been right about the snack. Hunger always makes her upset, too.