Chapter 30 Part 2 - Solemn Silence

The rest of the group had found ways to busy themselves. So they had no idea what was going on in the room. Nor did they much care. Who wanted to watch a guy wrap bandages around an arm? Most of them had already seen it. And if they hadn't already than they likely didn't have the clearance to see magic-less life-saving techniques.

In the kitchen Huan Huan tossed up a fruit and bit into it, turning from the bowl on the counter to the others in the room as she did so, "Why was she so insistent to run after that puny girl?" He asked Ma Guiying.

Ma Guiying was immersed in her thoughts. Her brother's serious expression kept returning to her mind. Why had I never seen that? Was this school that good? That they could made even him smile again? Or did he find someone he loved? Someone other than me? ... She didn't like the thought of that, Or something? If that's so...

"Hello~?" He waved his hand in front of her face. "Why did she run?"

Ma Guiying blinked out of her thoughts and looked up at the one who was trying to get her attention. Somehow, she didn't have the energy to blush at his earlier words anymore. Instead she simply looked back down at the table. "I don't know."

"How do you not know? She's from your same batch of students." He asked, incredulous. It was hard for him to understand that they might not be 'friends' as they were 'peers'. Huan Huan was the sort to get along with everyone, after all. He paused, watching her expression. His confused and angry face slowly melted into one of concern.

"Huan Huan, leave her be." Jia Cai Zi, sitting opposite Ma Guiying, gently warned.

In all the excitement it had almost been forgotten that she'd just seemed to have been reunited with her brother after so long. Everyone in the room though that she thought he was dead, and therefore was relieved when she saw him to the point of crying. But in reality it was so much more than that.

"Sorry." Huan Huan quietly took the seat next to Ma Guiying. 

The room returned to a solemn silence. Only this time Huan Huan had read the mood. Somehow, this seemed to make it even quieter. An almost desperate sort of depressing silence. Yet no one tried to change the mood. There were too many questions, but these were the sort that one doesn't ask.