Chapter 40 Part 4 - Derailing

Chow Su held the trembling puppy in his arms. It was fighting everything it had not to run to his master. The pup'd been restrained by Fan Ling earlier, but it wouldn't stop barking until Chow Su promised it revenge for the pup's master. Since then it hasn't left Chow Su's side, despite the pain it must be in to go against it's master's commands.

Chow Su was staring out the window with furrowed brows. He was also just barely holding himself back. He hadn't slept in days, and he hadn't been back to his family's' estate to put his body's temperature back in order. Fan Chen had given him a room, but he had barely used it. How could he rest when his Fan Rei was out there, somewhere, suffering through who-knows-what? The stress made the backlash was worse than ever, but he didn't have time to think about that.

He was re-playing the time he'd spent with Fan Rei since she'd lost her memories, and from before. He was comparing the two. But most of all he was angry at himself. He knew that she'd lost her memories. He should have taught her more. Maybe than she wouldn't be in this situation.

Even he, when he was a student, had heard mention of the class with disappearing students. He clenched his hand tighter. If only he'd taken more time to properly sit down and talk with her... He might have remembered... he could have warned her!

He opened his mouth to ask the state of Fan Rei for the unth time when he heard a commotion at the entrance of the Fan mansion. There was still a day left before everything would be in order to leave. He couldn't let anyone interrupt. Was this a new ally, or an enemy? Chow Su stood, the pup barking in his arms, and made his way to the entrance.