Chapter 34 Part 1 - The Son

He changed his ways. He was still kind, but also careful. He believed them until they showed him otherwise, helping them until their words were proven one way or another. Addor was one of the people he'd decided to help.

He tracked down and took out the road robbers. Gave mailmen training and added more positions. Even made a system where a signature accompanied every delivery back and forth to make sure each one arrived at the person it was intended for(this also later created the telegram). He began to get noticed.

From General he rose up the ranks. It was all thanks to this new mindset. Before, he'd been stuck as a general. But he was now a Detachment Commander, giving him the ability to have his own forces and do more that he wanted to do instead of only training for and participating in war. The King himself let him wander about fixing and helping things and people as he pleased. Only requiring reports showing success and achievement to prove to the King that this investment had been worth it. And will continue to be.

By the time he received this position(thus giving him more time for himself as he could now pick and choose his own hours) his boy was already eleven years old. He'd seen his children off and on, staying a day or two each time. But this time he stayed for half a year. His subordinates receiving his orders(coded) through the new mail system.

His wife now had red in her cheeks. He was no longer afraid that her deathly pale and thin frame would snatch her life away. His daughter was at the loving age of nine. She'd heard many stories of her father and loved him more and more each day.

His son was the only exception. He was distant and cold towards the man. He was different than his sister. He'd watched his mother suffer. At the time, he was still you young to understand why his 'father' had abandoned them. By the time the mail system was fixed and the condition of the village began to bloom(due to Ma Shu and the only other boy still alive or hadn't disappeared)in his mind the man was already someone harsh and unforgiving.

Although he could see everyday that Ma Shu tried with him to get closer. Or how he made his mother smile, he still didn't accept it.

Yet he didn't show this side of him to his sister.