Ch15: Memories; The fighting festival

Rogue's pov

Gajeel crunched down on a circular piece of metal as he sat in a metal scrap heap wearing nothing but a shaggy white waist coat and a pair of ripped brown trousers along with his usual gloves. Starlight also sat nearby, fiddling around with the metal in boredom. She was wearing nothing but a pair of very lose and baggy trousers which were held up by a belt and a bandage over her chest. (she's like Wendy in height and development at the moment) This of course showed off the fact that she didn't eat a lot as a lot of her bones showed, especially her ribs. "Hey there" Makarov called from down at the bottom of the scrap heap catching Gajeel's attention.

Both of thwm turned around and looked back to see Makarov standing there and his eyes widened.  "Your master Makarov" he said in shock before turning back around after Makarov raised his hand in greeting. "So, did you come here to gloat " Gajeel asked. Starlight didn't say anything and just kept quite while she watched Makarov.

"What a nice hello indeed, not very big on manners are you" the short man said as he struggled to climb the large pieces of metal. "Your friend Juvia is the newest member of our guild" Makarov then told the dragon slayer who turned around with shock on his face.

"You kidding me" he asked. "No sir. She was very concerned about your wellbeing after all that happened" Makarov told him. "Chick's got rain for brains. What is she thinkin" Gajeel asked, throwing a piece of metal onto the ground o  the side of the scrap pile that he was facing towards.

Makarov watched as the partially bitten piece of metal clan he'd down onto the ground and rolled onto the floor. "Have you figured out what your next move is" Makarov asked. "Our next move, we don't know yet. Keeping our options open I guess" he replied.

Makarov sighed. "I have another question for you" he told the black haired male. "So, shoot" Gajeel told him. "When you reflect in it, what would you say were your own reasons for going towards with Fairy Tail" Makarov asked. He caught Gajeel's attention since he turned his head to the side to look at the guild master.

"What did being part of Phantom Lord mean to you. For that matter, what does the idea of a guild mean to you. What do you want to do with the power you possess?" Makarov asked. "You sure got a lot of questions old man" Gajeel replied.

"They're all the same. What kind of man do you tell yourself you are and is that man the same person that lives in your heart. If Jose asked it of you would you take a life for him. I'd his power absolute. Is his every wish your command? If that's the case thrn your nothing more than his puppet. But I don't get that impression from you Gajeel. Your not mindless" Makarov told him.

"Would you quit flapping your guns and get lost already" Gajeel growled at Makarov. The shadow that was covering Gajeel then disappeared and it was replaced by light. "There's no reason to give up and plunge into the darkness. Come with us, join the Fairy Tail guild" Makarov told him.

"Are you crazy, why the heck would I ever do that" Gajeel asked, turning around for. "There is great value in the time spent to in one's own company but a life of total isolation, is a fate no one should endure" Makarov explained, shocking Gajeel.

"You know I'm the one who trashed your guild ball right" Gajeel told him. "Oh I know, We'll rebuild it" Makarov replied. "And I was also the one who hurt your three little friends"Gajeel added." I know. A despicable act that I will never truly forgive. But for me, letting a young man fall into darkness when I know I could have done something to prevent it, is something even more unforgivable" Makarov explained.

Gajeel's lip started to quiver at this and he put his teeth together to try and stop it. Makarov held out his hand towards Gajeel. "I cannot guarantee total salvation. I can. Merely point you on a path out of the shadows. Will you chose to walk that path or to forget it and remain where you are" Makarov told him as Gajeel looked at him.