The truth comes out

We get in our cars and head back to the institute.

I call Jace on the way. "Hey clary" I hear his voice say. "Hey, Jace did you get Grace down for her nap," I ask. "Yeah finally. The bottle helped" he says. "Good, I told you it would," I say. "Yeah, she should be asleep for a little while," he says. "Hope so," I say back. "So how long will you guys be gone," He asks. "the two of us are heading back now," I say. "Good. Its so bad Clary" he says. "What's bad," I ask. "Maryse made me cut my hair and it's not that long anymore like you told her to let it be," he says. "Oh gosh, why did she cut it all off," I ask? "I don't know, just know I had no say in it," he says. I can sense that he doesn't like it either. "There's nothing we can do now. At least it will grow back now and hopefully soon" I say. "I know," he says. "Well, I will see you soon," I say. "Okay Love, I will see you soon," he says. I hang up and turn the radio on.

When I start to get closer to the institute I hear my phone ring. "Hello" I answer without looking at it and putting it on speakerphone. "Clary, Hey, I'm sorry to bother you I'm sure you're busy taking care of Grace" I hear Tessa say. "It's fine, I'm on the way back to the institute. What's up" I say. "Logan keeps asking for you and about some story, you told him. He won't take a nap just keeps asking about that story" she says. "What in Raziel's name is he talking about," Tessa asks. "I told him a story I made up last night. It's has a little bit of the princess bride story in it but other than that it's made up" I say. "Huh... what do you think I should do? I mean I can't bring him over there if he's running a fever since we can't have Grace getting sick" she says. "I know. I don't remember the exact words of the story but you could try and make something up. I changed the names too so it wasn't buttercup, Wesley, and Humperdinck. I think I used the names Jordyn for buttercup, I always said the boy for who would be Wesley, and I said the prince. But Jordyn was a princess" I say. "Okay, I will try something. Thanks, clary" she says. "No problem. Good luck getting him to sleep. Jace sad the same problem with Jace a little while ago" I say. "Thanks, clary," she says and hangs up.

I turn the radio back up as I drive the rest of the way to the institute. I pull in and Izzy pulls in not long after me and parks her car in the garage too. She parks next to me in her spot and we enter the institute and go up the elevator.

As soon as we step out of the elevator cookie and bear happily run up to us. Cookie is holding one of her new squeaky toys. "Why did you have to get them a toy that squeaks? It's annoying" Jace says. I look up and see him walking down the stairs. He really does look different without his long curly hair. You can hardly tell it has any curl in it now. "Well we let them pick out their toys and that just happened to be one of them," I say. "Well all the squeaking is annoying" he complains.

"Where's Grace," Isabelle asks. "Taking a nap. Don't wake her up since I just got her down" Jace says. "Okay well, I want to see her when she does," Izzy says and walks off.

"I need to ask you something," I say to Jace. I take a seat on the steps. "What about," he asks. He comes and sits next to me. "How come you never told me you dated Paige? You know she hates me" I say. "Why Jace? Why her? Why of all people would you want her" I ask hurt in my tone? "Yes, I know that she hates you. Let me explain, I never dated her. I don't know what you are talking about" he says. "I saw her today and she said that you two dated and when I left Grant you dumped her," I say. "Oh, I know what you're talking about now. You want to know how it really happened" he asks. I nod. "We never dated. Yes, you were with Grant at the time. Whenever I was walking down the hallways at school she would cling to me. I couldn't get rid of her. She was like a little leech. She would tell other people in the school that we were dating but we never were and never did" he says looking at me. "Oh," I say. "I would never date her. She wasn't even my type anyway. And I knew she hates you for some reason" he says. "Yeah, she does. I don't know why. I'm sorry I assumed things" I say avoiding his gaze. "It's okay, I know you didn't know and could just go by what she told you," he says. "Thanks. If it makes it any better I didn't tell Isabelle. I knew she likes to hold grudges and she would hold one and hate you for never telling her" I say. "Oh good. Yeah, she would hate me especially since she knows Paige hates you too" he says. "Yeah," I say.