Help ~ Kindaichi Yuutarou 3

Valentine's day was coming up. People were getting weirder and weirder. You received even more love letters and even more confessions as people were desperate to spend the holiday with a partner. You were planning on skipping Valentine's Day to avoid all the confessions that you knew you'll get. You got well over enough last year and some of the same people asked you out again.

You plopped yourself down on the bench up on the roof of the school, tired. You took a deep breath and looked to the sky, instantly sneezing. The delightfully cool February air was all you needed to relax. You seemed to have been the only one on the roof as it was very quiet for lunch period. You had already eaten and decided it was time to relax.

You wondered what you would do when the day came. You wondered how many letters you'd get this time. You sighed. Someone else came into view. You heard the loud creaking of a door opening and looked to see who appeared. He instantly looked familiar and you knew who he was. "Kunimi." You said his name softly.

He turned around quickly and shocked that someone said his name. You thought he was actually quite cute. "Oh. Hi L/N." He spoke softly and monotonously like he usually did. He was one of the few guys that didn't get weird and shy when he were around you. 

"It's been a while." He said in the same tone. "Yeah it has." You said softly, thinking about when you used to watch every single volleyball practice. Those were the days... It hurt so badly when those days came to an end. Kunimi however didn't symbolize those days at all. He was a small part. It was mostly Oikawa who was the one person who represented those days. Kunimi seemed to have picked up on what you were thinking.

"I'm guessing you haven't spoken to Oikawa-Senpai since then." He randomly said. "Oh. Yeah. I haven't." You awkwardly replied. "You know, most of us on the team thought you were completely done. The other third years got really angry at Oikawa for that." He said sounding a bit sad. "And then you started hanging out with Kindaichi. It made a lot of us feel better to know that you're okay." He said sounding sincere. "I assure you, he won't hurt you. He's not like that." He spoke looking dead into your eyes.

"You talk a lot you know. You're usually so quiet." You laughed a bit, scratching the back of your neck. "Sorry." He apologized. "You don't have to apologize. Thanks. I needed to hear that." You said happily and left the roof, leaving Kunimi alone.

You walked through the halls. "Excuse me! Do you perhaps want to catch a movie tonight?" Some random guy asked. "No. I'm sorry." You replied and continued to walk. "Ah. You're busy tonight. How about I get your number and we could arrange for a time that you're not busy." He persisted. "It's not that I'm busy. I just don't want to hang out with you." You declined and walked away. You instantly felt bad about how rude you sounded but resisted the urge to apologize. After all, you were looking for someone.

As Kindaichi came into view at the end of the hall, the bell rang and you had to head to class. "For fuck's sake!" You said out of frustration and went to class.

After Class

You headed outside only to meet Kindaichi who as usual was going to walk you home. "Hi, L/N. Are you alright?" Was the first thing he asked. "What? Of course. Why?" You responded. "Oh nothing. I thought something might have pissed you off after you cursed really loudly in the hallway at lunch." He said laughing. "Did I yell?" You asked. "Yeah. You looked really scary and mad." He laughed. "It's nothing. I just wanted to talk to you about something and as soon as I finally found you, the bell rang." You explained. "What did you want to talk to me about?" He asked.

"Well." You started. "I had a very interesting conversation with Kunimi-Kun today." You said proudly. Kindaichi seemed to have been startled by what you said. His face turned instantly red and he looked worried. "What did he say? I swear whatever he said, I meant no offence!" He exclaimed. "What are you talking about? He just talked to me about Oikawa and the team and you. Relax." You said, waving your hand to him as a gesture to make him calm down. "Hah. I guess I overreacted a little bit." He awkwardly laughed.

"It was very sweet. What he said I mean. He gave me some closure." You said smiling. "What?" Kindaichi asked, not seeing Kunimi as the "closure giving" kind of guy. "You know about what happened with Oikawa, I'm sure." You began to explain. "Uh. Yeah. But that's not your fault!" He said. "I know. Kunimi just told me that you wouldn't do anything like that." You explained.

There was a silence. "What else did he tell you?" He asked. "Nothing. Just how the third years might have been worried about me after what happened." You said, setting it aside. "They weren't the only ones who were worried." You heard Kindaichi mumble something. "What was that?" You asked. "What? Nothing. Nothing." He dismissed. It didn't really matter. You heard a little bit of it anyway.

Your phone beeped. You took it out of your pocket and saw the text message from your cousin (who you lived with) saying that she wasn't going to be at home on Valentine's Day and that she didn't want you staying at the house alone. "Damn." You muttered. "What's wrong?" Kindaichi asked. "My cousin's not going to be at home on Valentine's Day. She doesn't trust me enough to stay home alone." You said sounding annoyed. "What are you going to do?" He asked. "I don't know. Probably stay with my neighbour or something." You put your phone away and continued to walk. Kindaichi mumbled something but you didn't know what he said.

"Why do you keep mumbling?" You asked laughing. "I just asked if you wanted me to stay with you while your cousin's gone." He said sounding seriously nervous. "If that's okay!" He exclaimed awkwardly. "That would be so fun." You said smiling with eyes shut, knowing how cute you are. "Yeah. I guess it would." Kindaichi said happily with a similar expression.

"You're cute." You said accidentally, intending to think it. His eyes instantly widened. "Wha-what?" He asked, confused. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean to say that oh god." You apologized. "Uh. It's fine." He reassured you.

You were now at your house. "Thanks, Kindaichi." You thanked him and opened the door to your house. "No problem." He said politely. You were about to close the door behind you when you remembered something. "Wait! Don't mention anything about Valentine's Day to the third years. They'll act weird. Especially Mattsun and Makki." You warned. "Uh. Okay I'll try to remember that." He waved goodbye and left.