Better Safe Than Sorry

Keith was sprawled out across his bed, which had already been messed up, even though he'd made it earlier. He had Lance to thank for that, because the alpha just loved cuddling so much. But at least he wasn't a neat freak by any standard, Keith wasn't obsessed with cleanliness at all, and that was convenient.

He was watching anime on the TV adjacent from the bed, mainly because he couldn't sleep. He was too worked up, it didn't matter that it was already 10 at night. Or that Shiro normally wanted him in bed by then.

The steps creaked loudly as Keith crept up the staircase. He was honestly surprised that Shiro hadn't stopped him the moment he got one foot in the door. But he wasn't complaining as he quietly walked down the hallway, and disappeared into his room, shutting the door with a tiny click.

It was dark, but small twinkles from the moonlight were shone on the floor in front of the window. The corner was way darker, so Keith collapsed onto his bed, still blushing over Lance. He was somewhat relaxed until he felt something crunch beneath him.

Keith lifted up his bottom and pulled up something he'd been sitting on. He'd neglected to notice that there was a piece of paper, which was now crinkled. But there was also something he couldn't quite make out in the lowlight. He switched on the bed side lamp, holding a small mysterious package in his palm, it had a texture almost like tin foil. And there were a series of small plastic circles jetting up from the surface, they were lined in four perfect rows. Keith made an irritated face, he knew exactly what these were as soon as the light hit them.

Throwing the pills to the side, he picked up a the wrinkled note, which had been written on the stationary from the fridge door.

Keith,

I'm sorry things had to go that way at dinner tonight. I realize now that I was being unreasonable, and making the situation into something that it isn't. I just jumped right in, and didn't even let him get a word in at all. I just want you to know that I do not HATE Lance. I only feel strong feelings of apprehension towards him, and I don't want to lie. I do not condone your relationship, but I know that I can't prohibit you from dating him, and that you cannot control the people you like. So as your brother, I am letting you have some freedom with this, and I will loosen the reigns on you two. You're going to be 18 soon, and I know that I have to treat you as an adult, but I do have one thing I need you to do. Please keep up with these pills, and don't be mad that I'm putting you on birth control. I know it might not seem like it, but I'm just trying to keep you safe. Please take these, that way I can feel a little bit better about leaving you and him alone together.

- Shiro

The omega felt his fist tense upon scanning over the words. Did he really think that his brother would get himself knocked up?!

Keith wanted to be angry, he wanted to be furious. But he knew that he couldn't, Shiro was only trying to help. Even if he had a funny way of showing it.

Plus, it wasn't such a horrible idea to put him on the pill. Considering they didn't know when Keith's first heat would take place, and there was a great chance that when and if it did happen, Lance would be the one to 'help out'. So it was better to be safe than sorry. The last thing either of them needed was for Keith to accidentally get pregnant.

And so the small pack of pills sat in his right desk drawer, and the note was balled up in his trash can. Even if he wasn't mad about the birth control, he was still pissed about what Shiro had done earlier. No apology on paper would fix that, especially when it was Lance he should've been saying sorry to.

Keith lazily read the subtitles on the screen, only half paying attention to what they were saying. He'd seen Tokyo Ghoul ten times over, so he knew exactly what was happening anyways.