Hear Me

Everyone had been sitting around in the waiting room for over an hour and a half, and nobody had come out to say anything concerning Keith's condition. Lance was about ready to beat down the door to go see for himself, but Shiro was the only one stopping him from doing that.

" Lance, I'm sure someone will be out here soon, okay?" Shiro said, though he was having trouble holding himself together.

" What if- what if Keith is..." Lance looked down, letting his lip quiver as he found himself not able to say it.

" Keith is strong. He'll make it through this." Allura sniffled while placing a hand on Lance's shoulder.

Shiro coughed, stifling any tears that he could've cried right then. This was his brother. His responsibility. Keith had been the only family he'd had for a very long time, and now for all they knew, the doctors could've been drawing straws to decide who was going to tell him that he was dead. He prayed that Keith was still breathing, and at that point nothing else mattered.

" I can't believe this..." Pidge muttered, reaching under her glasses to wipe her puffy, tear filled eyes. " If we would've gotten there sooner..." She was shaking.

" We did everything we could, we called, we ran the whole way there..." Matt had an arm wrapped around his sister. " At least we got there before the same thing could happen to Lance." He was trying to be strong for her, but he was straining himself by not crying harder.

" They don't deserve this! Acxa didn't deserve that! Lotor needs to die!" Pidge shouted, voice cracking painfully.

Lance soon found himself pacing about the room, wiping away his tears with his sleeve. He looked like he hadn't slept for days.

And that's when the door opened. Out walked a stout man wearing a white lab coat, and he had a stethoscope draped over his neck. Everyone who was sitting in the waiting room shot up anxiously.

" Doctor, how is he? Please, Keith is okay right?" Shiro got close enough to make him uncomfortable, but he refrained from shaking his shoulders desperately.

Lance stood there in a daze, letting his face sink even further down. Everything seemed to sluggishly move around him, like life was in slow motion until the doctor opened his mouth to speak.

" Who out here is Mr. Kogane's immediate family? I can only disclose information to them, what they do with the information after that is up to them." He said.

Shiro gestured to Lance.

" Us two." He said, and Lance whimpered, holding back more sobs as they were led back through the doors.

" Keith is still alive; we managed to pump his stomach and remove the toxin from him before he could digest it." The doctor explained. " If he'd been injected with it, he definitely wouldn't have made it. But he got lucky. His stomach lining and esophagus are damaged, but not to the point where it is fatal. His body will naturally repair the cells in a matter of time." He said.

Lance felt like he had been holding his breath for hours, and he was finally able to breathe again.

" So he's okay?" Shiro's face became less tense.

" Where is he?? I need to see him." Lance asked, talking very fast.

" You see... you'll be able to see him. But he isn't here." The doctor sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. " He's here... but he's not here here."

" What?"

" Soon after we got the toxin from his body, Keith fell into a coma. We haven't really dealt with this type of poison before, so I honestly have no clue how long he'll be under for. It could be a few days to months." He cringed while delivering the news.