Half Truths

(( For anyone who doesn't remember, Coran ranks the paladins by height. That's why Keith and Lance are numbers three and four. I just thought their numbers should have some meaning from the show.))

It had been weird falling asleep that night. Keith had become so used to sleeping with Lance, being enveloped in his embrace, falling asleep in the security of his arms. He actually had to take melatonin to go to sleep, being that he'd laid there for God knows how long just staring at the ceiling.

Lance was with his family, and had been forced to be home a lot more since spring break had ended. And that was fine. Him and Keith still were together more often than not, but their seemingly endless sleepovers had been cut down to about once or twice a week.

But when Keith woke up that morning, he couldn't have been more grateful that Lance wasn't there. It had all happened so quickly.

It all started when his eyes shot open from a dead sleep, then suddenly he was sitting up, covering his mouth. Keith's first reflex was to rush to the bathroom, where he ended up spilling his guts into the toilet just in time. He honestly couldn't even remember the last time that he'd thrown up, but it was a very unpleasant sensation. Obviously, he knew that puking didn't feel the best, but this was a swift reminder. It was so acidic, and he almost wondered if his stomach had dissolved and it was overflowing into his throat.

He coughed, heaving a few times before throwing up more. What the hell was up with this? It wasn't even light out yet, and there Keith was, upchucking everything from the past however many days. It seemed like everything he'd eaten from the past week was now swimming around in the toilet bowl. And Keith felt like he could puke more just from smelling it.

His eyes were burning, watering. Keith's nose felt inflamed, and everything in the back of his throat seemed to be alive with a gross, hot and nauseating sensation. Maybe he was just coming down with something.

...

" No coffee?" Shiro asked, coming into the kitchen. He was already shocked enough to see that Keith had been up before him. He was nursing a glass of water, and it had barely been touched. The omega feared if he drank anything other than water, it would come hurling right back up.

" Shiro, I'm not feeling so hot..." Keith mumbled.

" Is everything okay?" The older brother asked, pouring himself a cup of coffee before coming and sitting across from him. " Oh no, you're not getting another heat, are you?"

" I think it might be a stomach bug or something... I've been puking my guts up for a couple hours. But I think I finally got it all up." Keith sighed, running his fingers back through his messy bangs.

" Are you sure you're not just nervous for your first soccer game today? No judgement, people can throw up from being anxious." He said before blowing on his coffee and taking a drink.

Truthfully, Keith felt like it wasn't the flu. It felt different. No fever. No nothing like that. Even the puke tasted different from that. But as Keith had the time to think about it, he wanted to convince Shiro that this was in fact just a little queasiness. Lance too.

" I don't know." Keith said. " I'm still playing in the game, though. I'm not going to flake out now. The rest of the team is finally starting to respect me after all the practices." The omega slowly took a tiny sip of the water. " I'm the only omega. I'll make us all look bad if I don't show up to the first game because I'm coincidently sick. You know how that looks?"

" Yeah, I get it. But you need to be careful, okay?" Shiro pinched the bridge of his nose. His brother was too stubborn, and he already knew that there wasn't any point in trying to talk him out of playing.