Soccer Isn't Easy

Dark. Just dark. That was all Keith could see until he groggily opened his eyes. There was a shuffling noise that could be heard, the typical squealing creak sound came from his bedroom door.

Lance's arm was draped over him like it normally would be, and he'd been snuggled into the larger boy's chest. Keith sat up slowly, and he rubbed his eyes before he could make out the room. It looked like the middle of the night.

" Good... I want you to see this anyways." There was an all too familiar voice. And that caused Keith to jump from his skin, and make Lance stir.

" Get out!" Keith screeched. The orange jump suit was covered in dirt, mud, and God knows what else. The snowy white hair was snarled, and looked like he hadn't taken a brush to it in days. Of course L'Oréal was hard to come by in jail.

" I don't think so." Lotor chuckled, revealing a gun that he'd been hiding behind his back until then. Keith's breath hitched as Lance finally opened his eyes.

" Keith, what's-" His boyfriend asked. But then he noticed the problem. " You." Lance growled.

" Keith, pay close attention now." Lotor smiled in a crazed way. That was when Lance saw the gun, and he got between Keith and the barrel. He pretty much stuffed the omega behind himself, which wasn't easy considering how stiff Keith was from fear.

" Don't do this." Lance said, and Keith was having a panic attack behind him.

" Keith, what did you say about not being scared of me?" Lotor smugly got closer, keeping the gun pointed at Lance.

" Leave him alone. You can do whatever you want to me... just don't hurt Keith." Lance was shielding Keith with his body, and his heart was visibly racing from the outside of his bare chest.

" Isn't that sweet." Lotor sickeningly remarked.

" L-Lance..." Keith hated himself for barely being able to breathe. For being frozen. For being weak and unable to defend himself when it counted.

" Shh... Keith, it's going to be okay." Lance told him while tears rolled down his tan, freckled cheeks.

" Any last words?" The intruder asked, cocking the gun. Then, boom. It was like an alarm was going off.

...

Oh wait. It was his alarm clock. Keith shot up, choking on his own mouth while trying to catch his breath. The clock on his phone was ringing for school, and he felt hot water racing from his eyes as he sat there.

" Babe... turn that off." Lance, who was next to him, groaned and rolled over. And Keith could only continue to sit there, letting the sound blare. His breath was shallow, and he felt like a literal heartbeat. He couldn't distinguish where his pulse was, because he felt like his entire body was alive with palpitations.

Lance kicked the covers off, sitting up. His eyes were squinted, and his hair was ruffled every which way. He reached over Keith, grabbing the phone and shutting off the excessive amount of alarms with his sleepy fingers. Then Lance rubbed his eyes, seeing that Keith was staring off into space as tears kept spilling from his eyes. Not again.

" Keith..." He frowned and pulled him into an embrace. Keith barely had a reaction, he just let himself be moved. " Did you have another nightmare?"

" Y-yeah..." He took a couple deep breaths, and eventually became less tense in Lance's arms. Just a dream. Lance was still here. He wasn't bleeding out all over the place thanks to that psychopath.

" Do want to talk about it?" Lance asked. He was still out of it from sleep, but was awake enough to comfort his boyfriend.

" No." Keith lowly answered. " Sorry..."