Shame

" I'm done with this shit, Lance!" Pidge yelled at her friend. " You're hungry, I got you food, and you're going to eat it!" She angrily tapped her foot on the tile floor.

" I'm not hungry... just leave me alone." Lance murmured, shoving away the breakfast she'd brought. It had been two days. Two days without being able to look at food, or barely sip any water. Over 48 hours since Lance had last heard Keith's voice, or seen his beautiful eyes even open.

" No, I'm not leaving until I watch you eat this. Your body needs food!" Pidge tried her best not to lose her temper, but this was ridiculous.

" Will you stop yelling if I eat it?" Lance sighed, staring down at the tray of food. He had lost his appetite, and couldn't even think about eating much of anything.

Pidge nodded.

And the alpha gave in, knowing he'd have to choke it down to appease her. Pancakes were one of the worst foods in the world to be eating right then, maybe aside from dinosaur chicken nuggets.

He pulled the tray over and placed it atop his lap, cringing while smelling the heart wrenching aroma of pancakes. And even worse, there were syrup packets on the side, a shit ton of them. Almost as many as Keith would've taken.

But Pidge never could've known something like that. That something as simple as a stack of pancakes could make Lance want to break down and cry. She never would know, either. The only other person who knew about the excessive amount of syrup, and the practically diabetes inducing pool of sugar that pancakes were supposed to be drowned in was Keith.

Keith who lay there, seemingly hollow.

Lance slowly covered the pancakes in the sticky, thick liquid while trying to act like it didn't phase him.

" So, how are you doing other than the... you know... obvious." Pidge awkwardly asked.

" I don't know, Pidge... this just doesn't feel real." His irises dipped into bottom corners of his eyes. " I miss him so much..."

" I know. It's like he's here but at the same time he's not." She had a melancholy filled expression, but as Lance took a bite of food for the first time in days, it lifted a little. " Have you thought about coming back to school yet?"

" I can't leave him. What if he wakes up while I'm gone?" Lance tried not to grimace while chewing the painfully sweet food.

" Lance, he could wake up at anytime. People are here and they'd call right away." Pidge said, aware that Lance's academics were going to suffer if he missed too much school. " Keith wouldn't want you to sit here like this everyday, and you that know he wouldn't want your grades to drop."

" Pidge, I'm not leaving unless I'm forced to. End of story." The alpha said with an iron clad seriousness in his voice.

...

Eventually Pidge left for school, and Lance was with Keith by himself yet again. Shiro had to be at work, and everyone else was apparently too busy to stop in. It had been hours... hours of quiet whisperings in Keith's ear, and just being there. He'd pretty much talked the day away, even though he'd never gotten any response.

He'd become used to it, but he was constantly on the edge of his seat, just waiting to spring up the second Keith's eyes could open.

" Hey... I have a surprise for you, Babe..." Lance smiled weakly at his omega. He grabbed his phone, pulling up his music, where there were a few new songs he'd gotten just for Keith. " I don't want to g-note you... so I'll play one of your favorites that isn't quite so triggering."

Lance hit the play button, and Disenchanted by My Chemical Romance began playing. And the alpha knew he'd listen to Keith's music forever if that's what soothed his boyfriend. He could hear it. He had to be able to.