The Sleepover

" You can't just cancel it..." Shay told Allura, who's mascara was streaking down her cheeks in murky trails.

" There's only four of us left... what's the point." The cheer captain sniffled. She was pretty torn up over what had happened.

" Because it's not fair to us. We can still bond and finish out the season together." Shay rubbed circles on her back in a supportive motion. In all the years these girls had known each other, Allura had never been this upset. " We still have Shannon and Keith."

" Yeah, Keith who's on crutches. We only have Shannon who's eligible to cheer at this point." Allura tied her hair back into a very sloppy bun. " We'll be lucky if they don't cut the program."

" They won't cut it with only a few weeks left."

" And what about basketball cheer? We'll have to hold more tryouts." She facepalmed. This situation was more stressful than anything they'd ever had to deal with. " Oh no! And we can't even go to competitions without stunting..."

" We'll get through this. We always do." Shay reassured her. Allura sighed. At least Acxa quit with most of the other cheerleaders. So there was a small upside to this very bad turn of events.

...

" You're saying the school cut the entire stunting program?" Keith's eyes widened while Shiro talked to him.

" Yes... there's a reason I waited to tell you." The older brother said. " I didn't want you to think that this is your fault." Shiro took a sip of his coffee. " Too many people have gotten hurt over the years, so the police finally let the school board know. It's not just because of you getting hurt."

Keith was silent for a second, and he ran his fingers through his hair.

" Allura must be devastated..." He mumbled a short while later. Then he remembered something. The sleepover. Allura said it was supposed to happen that day. " Damn it."

" What?" Shiro raised an eyebrow.

" I have to go to that team bonding thing tonight." Keith sighed. " I don't want to."

" You're going." The alpha told his brother. " You can't skip out on team bonding."

" Everyone is going to be really mad about the stunting thing. I think me showing up on crutches might just rub salt in the wound." He folded his arms.

" Nice try." Shiro said.

" But... I wanted to see Lance today... I haven't since... um... two days ago." Keith looked at him with somewhat begging eyes.

" You've seen him at school. Remember, Lance has a family too." Shiro told him. " I'll drive you over to Allura's later."

" Wait... don't you have to work?" Keith furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

" I took the day off." Shiro said it like it was no big deal.

" Really? It's been a while since you've done that." Keith was surprised to say the least. His brother was a total workaholic. Days off were usually out of the question.

" I know. But I need one." Shiro rubbed under his eyes.

" You do realize I could always get a job, right? You shouldn't have to work yourself to death to pay for everything." The omega offered. Usually, he'd bring this up and Shiro would shoot him down right away.

" I'm not working myself to death." Shiro said. But the lines under his eyes spoke something completely different than him. He didn't want Keith to be home alone today. After all... Lotor could get out at anytime.