17 Days of Prince

Day Three: 4/7/18
Era: Controversy

Grains of drywall fall down on to her hardhat. She lucked up the moment her Uncle allowed her to work on the site with everybody else. The world should have known her career when was building five floor mansions at age four. Her fate was written in gold at her birth. Great-grandfathers were carpenters, grandfathers were miners. Hell, she could be in some biological relation to Jesus, it wouldn't be a shock to anyone in her family. They all do these things and Pamela was blessed to be doing it with them.

"Pam, it's lunch!"

She shrugs off her co-worker, who doubles as her cousin Gerald. She's going to finish this staircase before the workday ends. Gerald shrugs his shoulders as Pamela places down another beam in its rightful place. As the site begins to empty out, Pamela continues her hazard of working alone. Curiosity brings a man to sit down on a sturdy beam near her. She has never seen him a day in her life.

"You're a stranger," He says.

Pamela doesn't stop her work. She understands that homeless people get curious and roam. She's been on construction sites all her life. Pamela has seen it all before. They almost never mean any kind of harm, they just want some companionship. "Yes, I'm a stranger," Pamela playfully confirms.

"That means I can tell you my whole life story and not feel judged because I'll never seen you ever again." Pamela nods her head. "I'm Alexander, want to hear my life story?"

"I'm Pam.." Pamela adjusts her hat, looking at him. "Sure, why not?"

Alexander looks her up and down. He thinks she's a very pretty woman. "Well, my life story but just how my week's went." He's perfectly aware that she's on her lunch break. He also knows that she probably thinks he is some wandering hobo, but should that make any difference? Of course not. He'll keep talking until he feels it is time for him to go.

"You can tell me whatever you want."

He nods his head, his scarf picking up a small sense of flight from the increased winds. "My girlfriend broke up with me yesterday. My dad told me I'm going to amount to absolutely nothing this morning. I popped a string on my guitar on Tuesday. Oh, and two days ago, my drummer broke my toilet and it's still not fixed. I've been pissing in my tub every since." Pam's head shakes. This guy isn't homeless, he's just got some shitty luck, thinks Pamela.

"Wow, that's really unfortunate," says Pamela.

Alexander's head nods. His hands play with his scarf. "Yeah, it's gonna' be lonely," he sighs. He stares at Pamela, thinking of what kind of person she could possibly be. That's when it hit him. He knows exactly what kind of person she is. "Okay, Pam, it's your turn. Talk to me, mama, what's going on in your life? You look lonely. You find our your boyfriend had a secret family or something? He thinks you're too masculine?"

Pamela's eyes shoot to face Alexander. "I– how'd you know?"

"I can tell sometimes." It takes one look in the eye for the two to feel as if they're on the exact same page. They understand they are strangers. Yet, they find it all so intriguing. This entire experience is completely bizarre for her and yet, enlightening in an absurd way. "Do you find me attractive, Pam, because I think you're beautiful."

Pamela smiles, "I do." She removes her hardhat and places it beneath her underarm. The wind picks up the loose strands of hair that fell out of her ponytail, waving them in the wind in the same exact matter as Alexander's would if he removed his own fedora.

"Do you want to have sex with me, just to say we did it?"

"You think that's a good idea," She inquires.

Alexander leans forward to unbutton her shirt, pushing her weight down on a sturdy beam behind her. "It's dangerous but..." Pamela removes his hat and Alexander grabs the both of her breast through her shirt. "I do."

Pamela stares deeply into his eyes. "I don't even know your last name, Alex." Alexander makes the decision to give her the only confirmation she will ever need.

"Nevermind."

Yes, this was meant to be short and weird.