17 Days of Prince

Day Seventeen: 4/21/18
Era: Purple Rain

"I'm going to die someday."

Brianna get up, walking closer to her boss. He sat on an empty stage, soundcheck does not start for another hour. Brianna is a light tech who's cousin is in charge of the stadium, he let the two of them in. Brianna tried to not to talk to Prince, he scared her some times, but they ended up joking. After a moment of silence, he dropped his bomb on her. He had no problem doing it twice.

"I'm going to die someday," Prince glances over at Brianna. "You know that?"

Brianna's eyebrows furrow. She asks, "Why would you say that?" She is genuinely disturbed.

"Because I am," he simplistically replies. "I am living this life by the grace of God. Someday he'll tell me, it's time to come home. What am I going to do, argue?" He laughs. "Then, I'll die but I won't go away, I hope. If everything goes right, I'll live on years and years after my death. I'll have Elvis looking like dust!" Prince laughs more as he notices Brianna's single tear. "You must be scared of death."

"I am."

"Why," he questions. He is still laughing.

"What comes next? What happens to my family?" Brianna shakes her head. "It's too much to be unsure of. Am I even qualified to get into heaven? I love God but I'm no saint! What'll happen? I don't like that I don't know."

Prince smiles, "Don't you like surprises?"

"You're going to die someday..." Smiling with a nod, Prince hums as he shakes his head. "I– what could we do without you? I can't imagine a world without you. Everybody loves you! Hell, I love you!"

He chuckles more, tugging on her cheek. "I love you too, Brianna. I love everyone."

"But what are we supposed to do while you're gone," Brianna frantically questions.

Prince shrugs his shoulders. "Just chill until I come back I guess. What do you do when you wait for me to get to the venues? It's the same thing." Prince says, "I'll be back in due time. Besides, I'll know when I die and so will you."

"Aren't you scared they'll forget you?"

"I ain't afraid of shit!" Prince hollers with a laugh. Brianna is lost for words at the idea of Prince speaking on death in such a natural manner. The man is fearless. The man is who she aspires to be like someday, someday before he is gone and she is brokenhearted. "You'll know it's mean I get back..." He's unforgettable.

"What if I'm gone by the time you're back?"

Prince replies, "We are all going to cross paths more than once. Especially if we're attached. This conversation," Prince motions between the two. "This attached us."

"So, I'm stuck with you..."

"Forever, mama!"