17 Days of Prince

Day Five: 4/9/18
Era: The Vault

In perfect sync of her switching hips, her dress flows with her runway strut. "Work it, baby! It's about that walk, get it, honey!" Holly tunes out the constant snaps and claps as she does her best not to look into the bright lights. A small twirl to show the outward expansion of the skirt is completed before she struts back up and into the dressing room to swap into the final look. Hundreds of girls scattered throughout the back, all scurrying around in search of their assigned costumes.

It's the life of a model.

The runways, the traveling, the fights, the sex, the drugs, the depression, the frustrations, the money, the insecurities, the lack of self control, the egos, the exhaustion, the lack of stability, the judging, the crying, the isolation, the anger, the fearlessness, the glitz, the dieting, the splurging, the auditions, the sexual harassment, the sexual assault, the glam, the parties, the failure, the search for peace, the love, the success, the desperation, the strange sense of relief when the camera finally stops clicking.

The life of a model.

After the final strut, Holly leaves the stage, silently, returning to her downtown loft with nothing left to say the to the world. Her throbbing ankles swelling by the second. She strips down and sits her glittery body in a tub full of scorching hot water, bubbles, and relief. The phone beside the bathtub rings. As much as she does her best to ignore it, you never know when someone is calling because of an emergency or to simply chat. Holly can't take any chances, she answers.

"Hello?"

"Long day on the runway, Cindy C?"

And there he is. Her favorite game. Six months ago, a man called her phone. At an industry, an unknown powerhouse in the entertainment industry asked her friend, Coyle, for her phone number. He specifically requested that Coyle not tell Holly who he was. He felt the element of surprise would be best in this situation. I want you to love me for me first, he once told her. He's gone as far as coming to her house and talking to her through the door, while covering the peep hole. She asked to see his eyes but he claims they are nearly as unforgettable as her own crystal blue pools.

"I came to your show today," he announces. "I hope you kept that red number."

Holly laughs, she knew he'd say that if he saw her on the runway. Her frustrations used to flair whenever her curiosity took over. He always tells her, it's about that walk! Now, all her curiosity does is fuel her excitement for the day that the two are able to stand face to face. She often wonders what her first action toward him will be. She's given up searching for him in the crowds. It's been said that he sits front row at any show he attends and yet, she still cannot find him in the crowd. Coyle has claimed to see him on a number of occasions.

"But I'm in Milan."

"I know."

He had a way of being everywhere in the world all at once. She could only wonder what he does. The vague description of being in the industry is not doing enough for her. She knows that whatever his role is, it's big and important. Big and important enough for his security to escort her out of a nightclub that they both were in without her knowing.

"You're really something, Love." When he refused to tell her his name, Holly found it frustrating to address him. Over time, she grew into the habit of referring to him as the emotion they both seek from one another. Love. "I promise you really are."

He laughs for a moment until the laughter dies down. A sincerity takes over his heart. "Take your clothes off," he says. Which, is their own personal code to ask the other to reveal a secret. Every single time they're on the phone, somebody has to reveal something.

"I'm already naked," she giggles splashing in the water.

"Oh," he replies. "Is that so?" Holly hums ad confirmation. "I'd love to join you, but there's something so alluring about being able to watch you from afar..."

Holly asks, "Did you get the pictures I sent you?"

"I did."

Her head nods with satisfaction. Holly asks, "So, wouldn't you want to join me?" His laughing roars back up, deep chuckles sending chills down Holly's thighs. "Come on, tell me something, baby. You can at least take your pants off... get a little comfortable."

"You know today I had a business meeting and they had the nerve to threaten me?" Holly playfully rolls her eyes at the way he had completely avoided her words. He does it on accident and sometimes it's on purpose. Holly never minded once she got used to it. "Ain't that a bitch?" He must not be ready yet. Secretly, neither is she. In due time she will be.

In due time.