2: 假天使

I woke up feeling sick. It later dawned upon me that it could be a fever. Panic and worry filled my lungs. I can't be sick...who's to take care of Lana? I can't keep on relying on the granny next door. I always send her to her house while I'm at school so she won't be home alone.

Speaking of Lana, I felt the tiny hand palm over my forehead.

"Aera! You're sick!" I gently took her hand and smiled.

"I'm ok Lana. Let's take you to Miss Bae's house."

I ring the door bell and the door unlocked, revealing a jolly woman around her 60s. She gave me the usual greeting hug as she let Lana in.

"Oh dear, you look so pale. Perhaps you should stay in for today."

"Money's not gonna make itself. I'll be careful, I promise." I give her a reassuring nod, and she frowns.

She patted my head. "A pretty young girl shouldn't have to be like this. Don't go too hard on yourself."

"I'll try. I'll come pick Lana up after my shift."

She gave me a nod as usual and closed the door.

/

I walked through the halls, but I didn't see Eunae anywhere. We aren't close, by all means, but she's the closest thing I have to a friend here. It was only for a split second that my attention was taken away from where I was walking, when I felt my body slammed in the locker. I looked up and send a cold glare at the devil's daughter herself.

I won't even pretend I'm surprised. No need for dramatic affect. The character before me is dramatic enough herself.

"You bitch. I told you to stay away from Kookie, didn't I?"

Kookie?

She can't get any more unbearable. I really felt myself holding back a laugh. Eunji yanked at my hair and I cried out in pain.

"This is what you get for testing my man like that!"

"The fuck did I do?!" I glared at her, angered and confused.

I looked around for help. People backed away but looked at me in sympathy. Is this what the school's like? Does nobody have the guts to stand for what's right? She's just a girl with expensive designer products, that doesn't make it ok. Take off all those materialistic things off of her and she'll look no different from the rest.

She wouldn't be all that scary if people actually tried to stop her. Eunji picked me up by my collar and pushes me back into the locker.

"I don't want to dirty my hands any further. Girls, you know what to do." The same girls from yesterday started kicking my stomach and tearing my uniform.

I cried.

Not because it hurt.

But because of the memories. It reminded me of why I moved to this school in the first place.

"You think Mark really loves you? Who would love a slut like you?"

My back was slammed into the locker. The same spot, held the same pain,  but I was used to being thrown around.

Rumours spread about me that weren't true. That's where I earned that name. It was odd how they'd dare to call me that to my face, given that they were the ones who spread such rumours. They knew that they weren't true just as much as I did. I'd never cheated on Mark, never flirted with people while we were together. But who was to believe me?

Nobody was there to help.

I didn't expect anybody to.

But out of all people, I still naively thought he would at least spare me a glance. At least him, right? I saw Mark walking past us, just watching me, get beat up by his group of girls.