23: 離

Everything seemed fine.

And it really was, for a short while.

We were happy.

Even when we weren't happy, at least we were together.

Now we're neither.

Aera didn't come to school today.

And I think I know why.

———Jungkook's

"You fucking bastard!" I burst into his office and stride to him, taking his collar into my palms.

Being rational is last on my list.

And next to him stood my mother, who had her hand in front of her mouth in awe, "Jungkook! Let go of your father!"

"What did you do to her? Where is she? Where did you take her?!"

He's a monster.

My father is a monster.

"Where she belongs."

How could he do this to me? No.

This isn't about me.

This is about Aera.

"We aren't together anymore, so why should you touch her?! I told you not to fucking touch her!"

He shoves my hands off of him, "How would I know if you're not lying?"

He doesn't trust me.

"I'm your son!"

Tears drop from my eyelids.

Even I don't believe in the words I speak.

"She is a poor child, she and her sister are sent to a place where they will get help, and much more support than what they get now."

This isn't about helping them.

He's taking her away from me. He's a brutal man. I should've known.

"Go to hell." My voice is sharp as I say this, with nothing but sincerity.

———Aera's

I didn't ask for this.

I was at home.

And now I'm in the office of an orphanage. 

And I don't know where they've taken Lana.

I'm afraid. Anxious. Lost.

I wasn't this frantic when my relatives abandoned me.

A lady passes by me, I grab onto her wrist as if it was my lifeline, "Where is my sister!?"

She looks at me like I'm some kind of madwoman, "Your sister?"

"Middle parted hair, around 140cm, has really big eyes and a gorgeous smile, she has freckles under her left eye and-" My words are in a bunch and I break down into tears with my hands still clasped around the lady's wrist.

She sits down next to me and gives me the eyes of pity, "What's your sister's name?"

"Lana. Lana Yi. She's seven this year."

She's rather calm, while I fall apart to pieces in front of her.

"And you are...?"

"I'm Aera, I'm turning eighteen soon. Please find my sister."

"I will do my best. I will come back to find you." The lady smiles and her eyes are full of peace. I expect that I'm not the first one that's harassed her with my tears and questions.

She gently takes my hands off of her wrist and she leaves, heading back down the hallway.

I doubt that she'll really help look.

And again I'm alone, drowning in my tears. I breathe through my mouth as my snot clogs up my nose. I'm still crying hysterically when I feel my phone vibrating in my pocket. With shaking hands, I pick it up.

"Aera."

I stand up to my feet.

"Jungkook!"

"Aera, I'll get you out, I'll come find you, wait for me!"

And this makes me sob harder.

"I'm so confused, Jungkook. I'm lost. Nobody came to me when my parents' died, not even when all my relatives abandoned me. So why now? Why...why now? They've ripped me away from my life, Jungkook. I don't want this!"

He goes silent on the other end, and now I feel almost dumb for not realizing earlier.

His father did this.

His father did this to me.

He doesn't speak. And neither do I.

I don't know what to say to him.

So I hang up.

He doesn't call again either.

/

I am not saved. I am not helped. I am isolated. I am locked away.

I am now in a group of teenagers around my age, and I can only hope Lana is somewhere safe, and in a group like I am. Then at least there will be other's looking out for her if not me.

"Hey," A boy next to me greets shyly, and I look to him.

"Hey." I try to force a smile but my lips are tight in its place. I couldn't smile even if it was fake.

"I'm Axl, you?"

"Aera."

"You don't look like you're happy to be here."

And I chuckle dryly, "I truly am not."

"It's better than being lost and alone though, ain't it?"

How does he smile so brightly?

"I wasn't lost. I went to school, had a job, and a sister. The only problem is that I'm underage."

He looks confused, but he doesn't ask for any explanation. Despite not being asked to, I tell him more, "My parents are dead, and I've been living on my own since then. It just so happened that I was brought here now, when i've finally gotten myself back up, and not when I needed help. Ironic."

It seemed okay to ask, so I did, "What brings you here?"

"I actually grew up here. But we change sections every time we reach a certain age. I've never really met my parents, and I don't recall having any memories of them either."

The funny look on his face told me that my i-pity-you expression was once again on without my consent.

"I'm used to it though, I'm actually quite scared to go back out. I've been here all my life, but we'll be adults soon. They're bound to put us back out there. We have to learn to be independent."

He talked about the society as if it was something far away from him, something distant and new. I feel bad for him, in a way. He's never lived outside of these walls.

"It's not that bad, I promise. You'll be fine."
It's pretty bad.

Sometimes lying is crucial. Lying means hope. My lie will be a sin, but it will also be the drive to someone else's confidence.

He grins at me and this time, my lips loosen from its tightened state. I smile back.

"Hey..."

"Yeah?"

"You've been here all your life?"

"Yep, know this place like the back of my hand."

"I want to find someone, could you help me?"