55: 求婚

"I want to marry you."

Okay...what?

"Uh-" The unfitting sound of a toilet flushing in the men's restroom joins the conversation, and then out comes a lady from the womens', cutting off my reply as we both scooted to the wall to let her out the hallway.

We adjust back to facing each other, and I open my mouth speak, but the awkward silence between us is dragged on longer as more people exit from the bathrooms. I purse my lips as Jungkook repeatedly runs his hand through his hair anxiously.

The wave of people finally come to a stop and I awkwardly bring a hand to my elbow, exhaling, "When..did you know? That you wanted..that."

"After I drove you to work...is that a no then?"

"What? No! What made you think that was a no?"

He leaned against the wall, hands in his pockets as he shrugged, "I don't know. You sounded concerned with that question. You can say no, though. I'm fine..with whatever you want. I can understand if you think this is a bad time. It doesn't have to happen now."

I gulped, feeling my body burn anxiously. This is overwhelming. Who knew checking on your boyfriend in the bathroom meant getting proposed to? I certainly didn't. Getting proposed in the hallway of a restaurant next to the restroom really isn't ideal, but I'll take it. It's great, actually. It's very..us. Nothing about us has been ideal so far, from our first meeting to our separation..to our reunion.

"I always knew it'd be you or no one. I really did think maybe it's too early, but the timing probably doesn't matter much if it's going to be the same person every other way around." I shrugged with a small exhale, which he responded with a huge hug that might've sucked the air out of my lungs.

He held me so tightly, and I sensed that he was relieved. I don't know what it feels like to be the one proposing, but I know it isn't easy. It makes total sense now that Jungkook's been acting weird. I wouldn't know how to handle myself.

"I'm sorry I proposed to you by the bathroom, it really isn't the most romantic," He apologized with his arms still tight around me, "I couldn't help myself. It felt like a ticking time bomb, and I know the way I've been acting has really been...not the best for our relationship, let's just say."

I pulled apart, in meaning to kiss him, but he dodged my lips with seemingly more to say, "I didn't exactly propose even, I just..told you that I wanted to marry you. I think I owe you at least a proper version of the proposal."

That is true. It was more like a confession, but I really don't mind. I'm used to things not being usual with our relationship.

"I actually have the ring on me now,"

Oh my god?

"When did you get it?"

"On the way here. I didn't even plan to tell you today, but I was on the car, getting ready to head here for the dinner. And the next thing I knew, I was at the jewelry store with a bunch of rings in front of me."

That might be the cutest thing he's done up to date. Wait, "What about the work that you said had to get done?"

He blinked, "Well..getting you the ring is kind of.. the work..."

He trailed off, not finishing his sentence as he kneeled down on one knee with the ring in his hand.

"Aera,"

Oh, he's really doing it now, by the bathroom door. And good gracious, I really don't mind. He opens the ring box with a nervous smile on his face, despite already knowing I will say yes. And I look at him with tears in my eyes despite already knowing he was proposing.

What can I say? We're just two fools in love.

But it's as I'm looking down on my boyfriend who was on one knee, do I begin to really begin to process what was happening. It's just hitting me. I'm getting married. It's the real deal. I'm going to be a wife, Jungkook's. I don't know what that's like, but I'm willing to find out, if it's with him.

"Will you-"

"Yes." I grab his face, with my hands on his cheeks. I bend down to kiss him, and he's smiling so so hard. With the ring still in one hand, he holds onto my waist no looser than before.

"I have one more confession." He leaned back with a gulp. I simply look at him with my heart on fire.

"Cooking really isn't my hobby, I've never cooked for fun before and I genuinely am horrible at it. It was all a cover, because I was too nervous to tell you on the spot."

Oh, "That actually makes so much for sense," I laugh.

Resting my forehead against his chest, I let out an exhale of disbelief, "This is the craziest day."

I feel Jungkook slip the ring into my finger, and for a second, I'm fighting back tears as the ring once again reminded me what was really happening. After going through so much, we finally found our way back to each other. Just a few months ago I never would've believed that I could meet him again, yet here I am, blessed with the pleasure of being in his life, and to have him in mine.  And we're getting married.

Just a few months ago, I would've called my life a tragedy. I lost both my parents, was betrayed by my only relatives, got bullied and cheated on at my first high school, then transferred only to be sent to an orphanage by my boyfriend's father.

But now I would rather call it a fairy tale. Through thick and thin, I was lucky enough to walk it with my sister. I could've really lost everything and everyone. But within the madness, her life was spared along with mine. Never will I stop being grateful for that. Even when we were sent to the orphanage, Axl was there like an angel to guide us, he gave us what felt like a brother. And against all odds, I was still able to reunite with the love of my life after the most dreadful three years. It's more than just a dream that I would be getting married to him.

"Why are you guys back here? We haven't even ordered yet." Jungkook and I both look behind me, to see Lana standing there in confusion. I had to break it to her. I don't think I'd want anyone other than her to be the first to know, anyway. Squealing, I showed her the ring on my finger.

"You guys just...what?" Tell me about it. I look to Jungkook, and his ears are practically on fire, red and probably flaming hot.

"Aera and Jungkook are getting married." She spoke under her breath with her eyes blinking in disbelief.

Lana looks at us with the widest smile of hers that I've seen to date, and hollers out once again,

"Aera and Jungkook are getting married!"