9: 誤會

"So what's this all about?"

It's my shift at the café today and
Eun-Ae decided to tag along. She ended up ordering even though I said she didn't have to.

"What's what about what?" I discreetly take a break, sitting down across from her.

"You and JungKook. You've have been acting like besties for the past week."

"What's the issue?"

"Well I'm just asking. You two hate each other."

"Things change." I smile sheepishly, covering my face when I feel blush consuming my cheeks. Something about people noticing how close we've become makes me jittery and somehow proud.

"Oh my goodness," She gasps and I tilt my head up to look at her in confusion.

"You have a crush on that brat, don't you?"

My heart jolts.

"N-No, of all things, you assumed that I'd like that coconut head?" I laugh, but I silence myself as I come to realize how fake and shaken the laugh had ended up sounding.

"Oh you totally have a crush on him. A big fat crush on him."

"Shut up." I purse my lips.

"What do you like about him?" Her tone changed. She wasn't teasing me anymore. This was girl talk.

"..I like..most things about him," I rub the back of my neck.

"You're totally swooning," she laughs. "Okay but what do you like most about him then, out of everything?"

"His smile? That sounds dense. Or maybe the way he is when we're together. And he's different from what I thought he'd be. And it's almost as if..I can be whatever I want to be around him and he'll accept it."

"That's cute." She bites on the straw in her drink.

"It's like he was pulled right out of a romance novel. If he's trying to get me to fall in love with him, he's doing everything right."

Eun-Ae shivers, her pupil gone behind her eyelids, "If you keep on going I'm going to barf."

"Whatever." I huff, "You have Taehyung, why are you cringing?"

"Because Jungkook is like my brother! Hearing my friend crushing him is..." She snorts, "It's like watching him grow up."

/

Finally tucking Lana into bed, I get ready to do the same, but of course, not before I check Jungkook and I's chat knowing very well that he isn't up at a time like this.

But I guess I knew wrong.
-
Kook
nerd

Aera
Nerd what now?

Aera
Why are you up?

Kook
I'd ask the same of you

Aera
Don't pull that bullshit. Answer my question

Kook
Someone's snappy

Kook
can't sleep. mother was being a grinch again

Aera
Details?

Kook
I was on the phone with Jimin. And I was talking about a girl.

Kook
my mother heard and she started throwing this fit about me getting into a relationship
-

I reread the messages, again and again, hoping maybe the second time it would look less heart breaking, that it wouldn't be a straight up confirmation that he. doesn't. like. me.

He keeps on typing, but I ignore this, shutting my phone off and burying myself in the blanket, gulping down the sob rising up my chest.

-
Kook
Hey..question.

Kook
did you know about me before we met?

Kook
like..seen me on the news or anything?

Kook
if not. don't look at any of the things written about me online

Kook
please.

Kook
you there?
-