52: 盤子

I'm stumbling on my feet as I crammed myself into the car, on my way to pick Aera up from work. Tonight was the night that I cook her a terrible meal and come forward about marriage. Definitely not a fitting combo.

I had consulted Jun yesterday on cooking, who to my lack of luck, was just as clueless as I. It was my only hope to resort to unhelpful guides on Google. My refrigerator at home is now full of groceries from last night's restock in preparation for today's disaster.

It was when I parked before the orphanage and called her, that I realized something was very wrong. She did not pick up, and nor did she read any of the texts I had left her throughout the day.

Suspicious and confused, I let myself out and stepped inside the building. I had no permission to enter the offices, and could only stand by the entrance, hoping to find a familiar face as everyone one else looked at me curiously. Some picked out their phones from their pockets and took photos. I didn't mind.

Fortunately for me, it did not take long to spot Axl, who was just crossing the room. I called out to him, "Hey, have you seen Aera?"

He looked confused when he heard my question, "She's not with you?"

Axl slowed down and stopped his walking, eyes now on me with his eyebrows scrunched.

"What do you mean by that?" This was starting to worry me. Did she not go to work today? Where else would she be?

"I haven't seen her all day. I just figured she was with you..seems like that's not the case."

"She hasn't answered my calls. We were supposed to meet up tonight. Do you have any idea where she might be?"

He shrugged, "She doesn't go much of anywhere else..maybe she stayed home today. It'd be most positive to assume that."

I nodded with a swallow, "I'll go check if she's there."

And that was exactly where I found her. I was walking up the metal stairs when I heard violent sounds of shattering glass. It didn't take me long to realize how ugly the situation has turned out to be. I skipped the steps up and pounded my fist against the door, ear resting on it to listen.

"Aera?" I called out. Something in me broke when I heard the sound of her crying. It wasn't like what I'd known before. I've seen her cry, with her tears and all, I've seen her hiccup and bury her hands in her face. But this was different. She was crying, shouting, like she was in pain. Every cry sounded like the life being sucked out of her.

I knew she wouldn't open the door for me, and chances are, she never heard me at all. I scrambled around for any spare keys, and found one right under the mat. My hands shook in anxiety as I unlocked the door.

There was Aera, on the floor with her hands to her chest. She was crying so hard, it scared me to see her like that. I couldn't do anything. I was frozen at my feet, and remained unnoticed as she sobbed with her hands pressed to the floor. I really feel like a part of me died when I saw her.

Finally getting myself together, I quickly closed the door and made my way to sit down next to her.

"Aera." I spoke quietly this time, hands on her shoulders. She was shaking, badly. She turned to look at me. And that was when I saw her face. She was an absolute mess. I cannot imagine what on earth could make someone look so broken.

"I.." Aera tried to speak with her eyes leaking with overflowing tears. I held her face in my palms, thumbs wiping them away before they could drop from her cheeks. I swallowed the lump in my throat. Seeing her like this made me want to cry.