42: 晚餐

"Aera," Axl called out with a phone in his hand. "Don't forget it."

I'd already dashed out the building. I turn my head. It's my phone, "Oh."

Flustered, I stride back inside and take it from his hand, "Thanks."

"Where're you going? You normally stay past your shift." He checks his watch, "You're off on time, not a second late."

"Date with Jungkook!" I reply speedily before taking off, running towards the bus stop without caring to see his look of disappointment.

/

It's my date and I'm late.

"I've already reserved a seat for two," I tell the lady at the front of 'Minerva's', a restaurant that I treat myself to on my most special days.

"Six thirty, two for Ms.Yi." I mentally snorted. I'll never get used to referring myself as Miss to strangers, as if I myself was a separate person.

"Ah yes, they've already arrived."

damn it.

The lady leans in, and hesitantly whispers, "Is he Jeon Jungkook? I asked him and he said he gets it a lot. But I can't help but see that they are too similar."

I look at her.

"My apologies," She backs away, flustered. "How unprofessional of me."

"No it's fine. He really does get it a lot. But no, he's not. The Jeon Jungkook wouldn't eat here. No disrespect on my part, it's just...Jeon Jungkook himself would probably eat gold bars with gold spoons, am I right?"

She nod, "I suppose."

I suppose too.

"Shall I lead you to the table?" I nod. And so I let her take me to the very end of the restaurant, where a two-person table was. Jungkook sat alone, with his eyes looking out the window. He was in a long brown coat, hair parted and his forehead showing. He was focused, looking out on the road as if to look for something.

"Here you go." The lady gestures towards the table and whispered. She hands me a menu and goes on her way, leaving me with Jungkook.

"Hey." I call out, taking my seat across from him. He jerks his head towards me, mouth slightly open from surprise.

He smiled, "I didn't see you come in?" That explains the whole eyes-glued-to-the-window situation.

"Other side." I told him. He nods in response, grinning.

I was about to tell him about the dishes from this restaurant until he spoke before me, hands going under the table and pulling up a big bag, with the width of more than half the table.

"...what is this?"My stomach churned then.

"A few essentials that I think you-"

I cut him off, "Jungkook, the last time you said anything along the lines of 'essentials' I received a bag the price of my pay check..or more." God, that felt like a slap in the face to say. "And that was literally this morning."

His lips protrude just the slightest, "But I already paid for all this. Don't let me return it." He pushes the bag towards my side of the table.

If i reject it, he'll be upset. But accepting these type of things makes me feel dirty. As if I was with him so i could steal from his credit card. Which is far from the truth, but it doesn't stop me from feeling that way. He can keep giving but I can only take. Even seeing him in this restaurant makes me feel so much smaller. What does he normally eat? Would a meal of mine equal to a side dish of his? I look down at the menu. The prices next to the dishes make me stressed about my money, yet he probably goes to restaurants that don't even have prices on the menus. I then look up at him, who's looking back in confusion. I wonder what he thinks of this place. Or what he thinks of my flat. Or of me. Or the clothes that I'm wearing. Which reminds me that I haven't checked the price of the cardigan he'd gifted me. I don't want to check.