62: 新人生

I let out a tired sigh, as I sat in the passenger seat, covering my mouth with my hand. I didn't look at Jungkook, but felt his head turn towards me when I yawned.

"Aera." He took his other hand off the steering wheel and laid it softly on my shoulder, and slid it down my arm.

"Yeah?" I replied, looking up from my phone as he caressed my skin.

"Are you sure you want to go to work?" The car started going at a slower pace as he spoke hesitantly.

It's been a week since all that has happened. Jungkook's been working his butt off trying to set things right. We're working to sue the ceo from the other day, and hopefully find proof that it's his doing.

The statement has been out for a few days now, the netizens seemed to have calmed down since then. A portion of them actually began taking Jungkook's side, for the first time in forever. It's about time, really.

Another surprising occurence was that there were seven people who were exceptionally loud on the internet, posting writing after writing, to rid me of the 'gold digger' image.

They somehow knew that we were together far before Jungkook became the ceo. And they knew enough to write paragraphs about it, how we connected too much to overlook it as a money-hungry scheme.

Jungkook has people reaching out to them already. Let's just say, we're both anticipating for that long awaited reunion.

"No no, I'm fine. Keep going." I replied as I adjusted the air conditioning level. I have to go back and be responsible for all the commotion. After all that the orphanage has done for me, all my presence has given so far, is trouble.

It's only right that I head back as soon as possible and give them an explanation. I need to see it for myself too, the mess that they've created of my second home.

Apparently my absence at the orphanage did help calm the area a bit, as most of the reporters were eventually smart enough to realize that I wouldn't show up there. They all started to wall up around Jungkook's house. At least I did something, I guess.

A few minutes passed in silence, I even found myself nearly dozing off at one point, though Jungkook's constant business calls always made sure I'd stay awake. Our 'scandal' has affected his company greatly as well, but apparently the graph has begun going uphill.

A weird phenomenon is that there's a certain group of people, who've taken a liking for our relationship. I've seen accounts on socia media made exclusively for reposting leaked photos of us together. It's strange, truly.

The familiar sound of chatter and shutter buttons notified me that we had already arrived. My first reaction was to groan with my hands in my face, "You should've had Jun drive me instead. They'll go mayhem over your appearance."

"I don't want to compromise for the media anymore," My fiance explained, "Let them get used to it, it'll seem boring to them in a month or two." I nodded cooperately, letting him exit the car first to face the group of photographers.

The sweet gentleman jogged to my side and opened the car door for me. I stood out, and immediately noticed the sudden increase of camera flashes. He put a hand on my back, with the other signalling the crowd to give away. With red cheeks, I allowed him to guide me into the entrance, where I could spot Axl looking confusedly at us.

Jungkook better be right about this simmering down soon. I don't want to go to work everyday, feeling like I'm on a catwalk. I just want to get on with my day.

Like before, Jungkook didn't leave until I reached my desk. And just as never-changing, he was willing to leave only after he left a warm kiss on my temple. It was odd, with other people watching, especially my co-workers. I'm not used to this new state, with our every move being watched so closely, seeing all our intimate moments as they happen.

Jungkook didn't seem to be as affected, since he grew up under this environment. He doesn't know I'm this bothered, I'm not too keen on letting him know, either. He'd probably think I'm being paranoid. He wouldn't get it.

Axl comes up to my desk soon after. It was relieving to see him. He and Lana seem to be the only normal constants in my life right now. Life has been too crazy for me to even fret over his crush on me, even as I've recently become someone else's fiancee.

"Why, don't you look happy to see me." I couldn't find myself disagreeing his cocky remark, the smile just wouldn't fade.

"So, how've you been lately, with working at home and with this whole...mess?"

There was no need to fabricate my feelings with him, I only had this friendship, anyway, it's the only real one I've got. Despite the commotion from just getting inside, I'm truly relieved to be here, to be able to talk to him face to face. Talking to Jungkook about this has been difficult, in all honesty. It didn't seem right to add onto his burden, nor did it seem right to whine about something he's endured all his life.

"Hellish. One second you're at home, right? Being as normal as you are, and somehow the entire world hates you the next. And then they suddeny love you, and become obsessed with your relationship? The media is bipolar, is what I've noticed. They scavenge for literally anything, just to give themselves something to have an opinion about. I'd never guess I would one day be talking as the other side of it. I feel like a celebrity," Axl's eyebrows rose at my statment, "And it doesn't feel too great."

Axl then mentioned my engagement, asking how it's been. I tried not to make the atmosphere awkward as I responded naturally, "We've put the plans on hold, actually. It's better to continue when our situation steadies. Lately, I feel like it's become...more of a headline, rather than something special between Jungkook and I."

That's what I hate most about this new spotlight. They've spoiled so many things. I don't even feel comfortable with Jungkook touching me anymore, not in public. It's the fear, that even a little tap, or a small accidental contact, can turn into god-knows-what on the  internet. I couldn't even smile when he kissed my head earlier, or when he opened the door for me. The engagement doesn't feel like ours anymore, it feels as though it's been stripped into a million portions, shared amongst people I've never seen before.

"How's Lana been?" I asked, not waiting for a reply to what I'd said.

Axl rests his crossed arms over my office border, "She's alright. Luckily, I haven't seen anything about her being leaked yet. Lana did tell me about school though," I felt my stomach flip, not in a good way, "People have been looking at her 'differently'. But she's a tough girl, she's a lot more worried about you, than herself."

I hope that Leon boy is still sticking around for her in a time like this. From what I heard last time, she hasn't got much of anyone else at school anymore.

"And the kids?"

He exhaled with a hand running down his face, "The younger ones cried a lot more often. The older ones just had trouble getting in and out, for before and after school. We're trying to handle it the best we can."

A co-worker walked past and eyes Axl, probably for not being at his own desk. He then acts as if to head back, but then comes around to whisper, "You know people here are talking about you, right?"

Just like everyone else? "Yes."

"Are you sure you wanna be here? I don't know how many of them are exactly....sane."

Feeling helpless, I moved my folders around my cluttered desk with a sigh, "I don't know, Axl. Coming to work helps me see Lana more, and you too. I shouldn't worry about where the hate is, even if it's at my workplace. It's everywhere, anyway."

My worried friend gave me one last frowning gaze before nodding, and headed towards his seat to prevent receiving more protest.

Leaning back against my seat, I close my eyes and let my  shoulders droop. My brain is going into overdrive beyond comprehension. All I want is to escape reality, even for a second, because fuck this. Sincerely, fuck it all.