45: 友情

———Aera's

I drag my feet back to my desk, sitting down with a deep exhale. I place down my newly brewed coffee and avert my attention back to the work before me on the computer. Then Axl walks past, stopping right by me.

He rests his arms on the divider of my office cubicle and leans over, "Not going home yet?"

I look up, shaking my head, "I'll wait for Lana to head back. Get a chat with her and all."

His eyebrows scrunch together, "She won't be back until late at night though, you sure you're waiting for that long?"

I returned the gaze with one of confusion, "What do you mean 'late at night'? Shouldn't she be back right after school?"

"She's having dinner with her classmates tonight...remember? She told you yesterday, I was there."

Right. "Oh. Yeah, 'forgot about that for a second. I guess I'll be heading home soon then."

He nods, standing up straight, seemingly to head on his way, "Get home safe then." He spoke as he walked away.

"Yep." I replied nonchalantly, closing my eyes and resting my back against the chair.

Yesterday.

Of course I wouldn't remember what Lana told me. All my mind can remember about yesterday was my fight with Jungkook and that look in his eyes before he slammed the door in my face.

I pull my phone out my pocket and turn it on. Nothing from Jungkook.

I let the home button scan my thumb and quickly go to my contacts, finding Jungkook's number.

I press call.

I place the phone on the table, freeing my hands to drag them over my face. I sit, letting the sound of my ringtone echo through the office.

I don't know why I called. I don't know if he'll pick up. I don't know what I'd say if he did. I just need to hear his voice, to know what he's thinking. It's fine if he's scolding me, or throwing swear words at me. At least that means he still wants to talk to me. Worst case scenario, he might not even want anything to do with me at all.

It scares me, this lack of communication, this  distance. I don't know what he's thinking, what he wants..I don't know if this is a break, a quick breath, a break up, or a dramatic ticket straight out of his life.

He could've left me. And I wouldn't know. I know it won't be the end of the world. I know I won't die. I will keep breathing, keep doing my job, keep living this same repetitive loop. Everything will be the same, but I will simply, just not exist. I cannot go back to that life without him and still be whole.

I just got him back. If he really leaves again I will be the exact reason why he does. It wouldn't be because of my legal complications, it wouldn't be because of his father.

I look back at my phone, seeing that he hasn't picked up..and that he probably never will. The thought of that did it. I start crying.

I try to bury my cries, covering my face in my palms, as my body shivered. The footsteps approaching me told me my efforts were useless.

"...Aera?" I pop my head up, putting down my hands. I knew that voice belonged to Axl. I don't need to hide my face from him. He's seen me like this before.

I purse my lips as I look at him, eyes shaking, lips trembling. I was breaking, and I could see it in his eyes that he knew as well.

I stand up.

"Oh no.." He let out an exhale before holding his arms out so knowingly, just in time to catch me when I threw myself on him. I clutch my arms close to my chest as I felt his go around my shoulders.

I cry freely against him, trusting him, he who was my best friend despite all that's been happening to us lately.

Only now that I'm crying in his arms do I realize how horrible this all is. I've pushed away my boyfriend's affection until I finally drove him away, he's gone ignoring me as he should. I haven't talked to my own sister in days, spent all the little time we used to have together on my lover, swooning and keeping myself in heaven like a child. And my best friend, I've completely disregarded and thrown to the side. But at the end of the day he's still the one right next to me when I cry.

He doesn't even ask why I'm crying. He knows I'd tell him if I wanted to. That and he probably already knows why, or who, to be more specific.

"Maybe you should go home."

I sniff, "Yeah."

"Need me to drive you?"

God, I'm really just taking from everyone. When am I ever giving?

"Yeah."

He pulls us apart, then brushes my hair away from my face to look at me. He just frowns.

"Get your stuff ready, I'll go start up the car." Axl's palm goes to my hair and ruffles it, I scrunch my nose and shrink my neck.

"Thanks."

"Best friends, am I right?" He shrugs with a smile and walks down the hallway, heading out to the parking lot.

I stare at my feet, shoulders drooping.

Yeah.

Best friends.