59: 報仇

Jungkook throws me the car keys, which I surprisingly caught with no problem, "Go start up the car first," he tells me as he adjusts the collar of his button-up, "I gotta go switch out my tie."

We were just heading to work when he found a spot on the fabric, and as the Jeon Jungkook, it is no way to show up to work with a stain. So I do as he told, opening the front door without a second thought in mind.

And all of a sudden, like I'd fallen backwards from the top of a building, my breath was stolen and my lungs were trampled into nothingness. Flashes attack at my eyes as I failed to hide the bewilderment from my expression. The people with their cameras and microphones walled up before the mansion, like a cage trapping me in my spot. I've never felt so small, so afraid, so naked in the eyes of so many. So this is what it's like to be famous. I feel like I've been caught doing something dirty, something wrong, like I was being punished for it. And the whole world was brought right to the porch to witness.

I was frozen and unable to function. It was when a strong arm pulled me from the doorway with a big warm hand covering my eyes, did I leave my spot of deadly attention. Jungkook and I leaned against the wall, silent and preoccupied with our own shock.

We were out of sight for merely a second, and that was enough for them to swarm up our porch. Jungkook, the more woken of us two, was quick to slam the door in their faces and lock it shut.

I gulped, "What the hell, Jungkook?" I started breathing again, but now with big and uneven breaths as I tried to keep calm. Opening the door to see a wall of flashing cameras was like going to war without armour or weapons. I don't think I'll ever experience anything that can replicate the fear that took over my body. There was no warning, no sign. It was deadly silent only until I opened the door, like they'd been planning to throw me off guard, to catch me red-handed for something I wasn't aware I'd done.

My fiancé paces around with his phone in his hand, which he eventually threw to the floor. I jump, eyes wide at his gesture. What had he seen on his screen?

"The fucking CEO from yesterday, Aera." I wasn't comprehending.

"He sent our information to the press and completely twisted everything."

I blinked. He might need to dumb it down for me. My mind is practically absent, just by the previous occurrence.

Jungkook got the message by the expression on my face, and explained, "Everybody knows about you now, Aera, about us. And they've made it ugly."

And now they also have photos of me, standing by the door with the most foolish expression on my face as they blinded my eyes.

"Well," I slide to the floor and hugged my knees. I can still hear the ruckus outside, and it's picking at every bit of the sanity left in me. "What do we do?"

Jungkook was flustered, and in the most nervous state, it was a look that I've rarely seen before, "We stay inside. You can't go to work today. They might've already clogged the orphanage. I'll contact some people to get things sorted out. We have to put out a statement, and try to get the upper hand in this situation."

He didn't wait for a reply when he headed to the elevator, I'm guessing to his home office. I didn't try to follow him. I stumbled back up to my feet and settled my bag on the couch.

Taking my phone out with shaky hands, my screen was bombarded with notifications from Axl. There were too many swear words, too many questions, and too many texts in general. I don't want to know what's going on over there right now. And if he's seen whatever's been put up online about us, then I'm not sure I'm ready to face him either.