37: 起

"You're late today."

Axl commented as he walked into the kitchen. I stand against the counter as I wait for my food in the microwave.

I nod.

"Want to tell me why?" He grabbed a milk carton out from the refrigerator and set a tiny cup on the counter. I suppose it's for one of the children. His gaze causes small beads of sweat to form on my temple and I automatically adjust my turtle neck to make sure my hickeys were out of sight.

"I had to cover for you and tell them you had a stomachache."

"I didn't ask you to."

We haven't been on good terms for a while now. His crush on me is no secret, and it's been ongoing for longer than I'd hoped.

He's sweet, thoughtful, and considerate. But too much. He cares too much and is obsessed with knowing every move I make. He paints it as if I'm disrespecting him if I keep something to myself. Every corner, he's right there. Always snooping around, always wanting to help out, always wanting to leave his imprint on every memory I own.

He is my best friend.

But sometimes I wish he'd disappear.

His presence brings me more pressure than he thinks.

"Drop the attitude." Axl shoves the milk back into the refrigerator and shuts it close.

"I'm just stating the truth. I don't need you to cover for me."

"Well I did, and I suppose I deserve an explanation since I did you a favour?"

He lifts up the cup then makes his way out the kitchen, but something changes his mind and he walks back in, putting the cup back down on the counter in a forceful manner.

Axl looks genuinely upset now, and it starts to truly rattle me.

"You know, 'last time I checked, when someone gifts you with an act of kindness you appreciate it and thank them, instead of rejecting the offer and telling them to fuck off. Neither is it right to ignore your best friend when he's asking you a simple question."

"I didn't tell you to fuck off. I don't exactly owe you an explanation either."

The microwave beeps and I let out a huff, turning to take out my dish. The atmosphere feels heavy and uncomfortable as I peel back the cover and let steam exit the plastic bowl. The cheap smell of microwaved lasagna fills my nose. Grabbing my chopsticks, I turn back around to look at him, who'd been standing there for the whole time that I was prepping my meal.

"Are you going to say something, or are you going to let me eat in peace?"

"Just tell me what happened yesterday, and where you were this morning."

Yesterday.

The image of Jungkook pops into my head and I let my smile slip for a moment. Then I remember the weight of the situation and I purse my lips into a thin line.

I know he'll get hurt by what I'm to say, but he asked for it. It's only 'respectful' if I do as he asks, "Jungkook came yesterday and we met up."

I look at his fingers that held onto the edge of the counter. His knuckles burned a ghostly white and his face was stiff and expressionless.

"He visited my flat last night and stayed overnight. I was with him this morning. We stayed in."

He sucks in a breath and nods, silently lifting up the cup once again and quickly exited the kitchen without leaving behind a single word.