3: 隱形

I woke up to a beeping sound and a ringing my ears. I blinked my eyes to regain my vision.

Hospital? I assumed. It smelled of sanitized hospital supplies and ultimately death. I can't be wrong. The sound of a sliding door disrupted my thoughts. I shifted my gaze to the door, where Jungkook came through.

"Oh hey, you're awake-"

"Why are you here?" I looked blankly at him.

"Well, you had a fever, along with some..petty severe injuries, and you fainted." He scratched the back of his neck.

Why is he being so shy with me? So you're telling me this bastard took me here or what? I suddenly remember the conversation from before I fainted.

"You're lucky, I wouldn't have come over if it hadn't been you.".

I got off from the bed, ripping off whatever that was stuck in my arm, and walked out. He grabbed my wrist.

"Where're you going?"

"You..stay away from me."

"I took care of the hospital fee. So stay here for a while."

I shook his wrist off and stomped back to the bed. It was so much easier to hate him when he was being rude to me. Now I owe him. Great.

"...Just leave me alone. I don't like you being nice to me." I said bluntly, staring at my fingers.

"Why do you say that?" His eyes, full of confusion.

"Kingkas. Are all the same aren't they? You don't have to always try and stand out from the crowd, JungKook.You don't have to be different. Just be like the rest of them, do whatever you want."

He went closer to my face. I could feel his breath against my cheek.

"But you know what I want to do?"

He's too close.

"I want to know you better. I want to stand out from the crowd, because I want you to see me. We started off on the wrong foot, I need to show you that I can be better than what you know."

It might've been our close distance, his breath on my skin, or his words that I tried to brush off as flirting, but whatever the reason, my heart wouldn't stop pounding against my chest.

Kingkas and their cheesy pick up lines.

"Let me get closer to you. I want to know you. Pushing me away will only make me more curious."

"JungKook, I don't want to have anything to do with you. I'm merely a new student in your school." I pushed him back and went out of the hospital with him right behind me.

Because of him, again, I'm having trouble moving on from Mark.

He reminds me so much of him. How he comes to me and help me when I least want him to. And just when I thought I didn't care about him anymore, Jungkook had to come and make my heart swing like that again. Obviously, this had nothing to do with Mark, but rather my reluctance to believe that Jungkook's words really made an affect on me, and that somehow, I wanted to believe him. But I couldn't let myself be honest, buying into Jungkook's words meant putting myself at risk of getting hurt again. What I experienced back there wasn't just teenage heartbreak. My parents had left me and Mark was all I had. I loved him more than a teenage relationship meant, I put all the trust I had left in the world in him. I didn't just lose a relationship, I was backstabbed, bullied, and had my life trampled on beyond reason.

I ran, and ran, letting my tears run free. It was odd. I didn't have any reason to cry. Mark resurfaced in my mind, and the tears just came. Maybe I never really moved on. Maybe coming to this school wasn't a new start. Maybe no matter what I do, there will never be a new start, not until I move on. I'll just be stuck in this same spot, glued down, unable to move.

"Aera."

I felt a strong grip on my wrist, the force went backwards and I was left with no choice but to look at him.

"What's your prob- why are you crying?"

"You wouldn't understand." Turned my head, ignoring his gaze. He'd just say that I'm overreacting if I told.
He wiped my tears with his knuckle.

This bastard touched my cheek. He fucking touched my cheek.

Is my heart beating from rage or embarrassment?

"Then help me understand. I do want to know, Aera."

I once again, looked into his eyes.

"..f-fuck off." I shook my face from his grasp as I hiccuped.  He looked down at me, and spoke.

"I will hate you if that's what you want so bad. I'll leave. Just don't regret it. I'll dismiss you just like you wish, but before it, know that everything I've said until now, I meant."

He took off and walked towards the opposite side of the road, leaving me staring at his fading back.

I don't want to wake up tomorrow, to find out that I regretted what I've done.

———Jungkook's

I don't know Aera.

But I want to know her.

I never believed in love at first sight.

Because I didn't love my first.

But I fell easily for this girl that I've only known a day's time. And I fell so hard. She isn't the prettiest girl in the world, but she's so goddamn charming. From everything little expression, to her voice, her body language.

I want to be the one that makes her smile. I want to see again what I saw at the cafeteria. Not the scowl or the cold glares. It sounds greedy but that's how I feel now.

She's so straightforward with me, and made me realize things I never knew about myself—things that I now would die to change, to be honest.

It's frustrating, the way she's acting. She's always so closed off. So hard to get to. I want to know what it's like to be the one behind her smiles. She makes my heart swing the way it never did for Haeyoung. She makes me want to know what true love feels like. Love that is pure, true—and not forced onto me by elders.

Haeyoung, can I really do this to you?