38: 早餐

My body awakes me when I start to feel a soreness in my muscles. I peel my eyes open reluctantly and feel around the mattress. empty, and dented by the weight of Aera's body.

I sit up and hear the shower head run, water hitting against the floor. I smile.

It's almost as if we live together.

I grab a clean pair of underwear from the closet and put them on. Eager to see her, I didn't bother to put on a shirt nor a pair of pants to cover my body.

Stopping by the bathroom door, I knock, "Morning." 

"Hey!" She responds from the inside and I let a toothy grin surface at the sound of her energetic voice. 

"Can I come in?"

"For what?" She hollers again.

"Does it matter?"

"Well," she pauses for a moment and the water stops so i can hear better. "I need to know you're not here for me. I wouldn't mind a rest, since my hips and my back is suffering quite a bit from last night..and the night before too."

I fail to suppress a laugh and my ears burn with heat, "I'm sorry."

I'm really not.

"I promise I won't do anything. I just need to brush my teeth and wash my face."

She lets herself think before responding, "Promise?"

"Promise."

The door knob clicks and I quickly let myself inside.

We're met with an awkward silence when I see her naked in the shower, body dripping with water. She's hugging herself tightly with her legs crossed, while her eyes travel up and down my body. Her eyes are like red lasers, sending heat to wherever her gaze landed on me. I couldn't even bring myself to check her out.

"Uh-" I stutter, clearing my throat.

Her cheeks turn pink and mine start to burn too, along with my ears. I scratch my nose and turn my back to her, nervously fumbling to get my toothbrush.

"You can just-" I turn back to her and trip over my words, "continue..showering." I finish.

She nods silently with her lips pursed. I turn back to the sink and I hear the shower head once again. Flustered, I quickly squeeze out toothpaste and stuff the brush into my mouth, scrubbing fast and hard.

"Shit." I wince when a single bristle attacks at my gums. I spit out the toothpaste foam and give up on the idea of brushing my teeth altogether.

"I've got to take a shower as well. Will you be done soon?" I ask, holding back the urge to turn around.

"Thought you'd have a thousand different bathrooms in here."

"I like this one better. The rest are for guests."

"Yeah? Then why'd you let me use this one?"

I turn around and my eyes catch her staring. I had a feeling she was looking at my bare back the whole time.

Her eyes waver in embarrassment.

"You're no guest." I grab the handle of the glass door and I watch her face turn into one of panic.

I step inside the shower and water immediately attacks at my skin. I'm standing right under the shower head and Aera puts herself to the corner.

"What are you doing in here?" Her arm goes over her chest. But it serves no purpose. I've seen as much of her as she has me.