63: 紅洋裝

As planned, we're trying to go on our usual schedules, and hope that the media will slowly curve into a calmer state. So far it's been going according to plan. The cameras are still out and about, but for a different reason.

Things have taken a sudden turn, and let's just say, we're now South Korea's favourite couple. We seem to have gained a fan base. The irony is that we've never been at a more awkward time of our relationship. Aera's been distant these days, for reasons that I've yet to find out.

She's been trying as hard as possible to avoid my touch. Even when I try to bring it up, Aera's always quick to shut it down, saying I'm reading into it too much. But I'm her fiancé, not a fucking idiot.

We're in the car now, on our way to a public dinner with other members of the business. As it's another occasion where I'm to accept alcohol, Jun followed along and had become our driver for the day.

I never knew there'd be a time when it'd be awkward to be in the same space as Aera. I turn my head to look at her, who had her eyes looking out the window. My gaze then trailed to her hands that weren't in mine, but instead overlapped neatly on her lap. I'm not used to not touching her. It makes me feel farther away from her than I really am. There was a sudden tension in the car caused by my hesitation. Can I reach out to hold her hand? What if she retracts hers? What if she rejects me? I don't think I can handle that.

My gulp comes to a halt when Aera turns her head to my direction without warning. And the weirdest thing happens: I turn the other way. Why would I avoid her gaze? I've never been shy about looking at her, just as she's never been to me. So why have we come to this? I failed to fight back a shaky sigh as tears rose to the brim of my eyes. It's good that I'm looking away now.

My head didn't adjust itself, and stayed facing my window throughout the entire ride. The venue and the reporters eventually came to view, and I let out another sigh as the car came to a halt. Jun exits the car and opens the door for us, leading us out with a hand on the roof to protect our heads.

The sound of the crowd and their cameras came washing in like a tsunami before we could even leave the car. I stepped out first, then watched as Aera ignored my hand when she came after. That'll make a headline for sure.

I glance at her with my lips pursed, camera-flashes still shining on our skins. She looks past my gaze just as she walks ahead of me. My eyes followed Aera's body as her hips swayed with every step. Aera's wearing a silk red dress tonight, it hugs her body so perfectly, with the fabric cherishing every curve almost as much as I did. She barely had any makeup on, with her natural hair flowing freely for its own sake. She looks so beautiful, truly dazzling. Who knew I'd one day find it hard to tell her that.

We reach a carpetted entrance, and I took the signal to stop, and allow the reporters to take their pictures. Aera does the same professionally, halting next to me. Trying it, I lay my hand on the other side of her waist, and despite not rejecting it, she tenses at my touch. Ouch.

"Why are you touching me?" Aera mutters under her breath. Because you're my fiancee? I swallow the snappy response. What kind of a question is that though? Seriously? I've always been touchy, isn't it a bit late to have something to say about it, now that we're even engaged?

"My publicist suggested we show pda." I attempted to say with a tight smile.

Aera scowls just the slightest, "So are you touching me for the media now, or are you touching me because you want to?"