Ten

WonHo

I got a phone call from my mother right after class and I went out to take the call since that there is a 5-minute break before the next lesson, Yoo YiSeul is taking a nap ever since school officially started and I don't think that she would be waking up anytime soon.

I hid behind one pillar and answered her call, it seems urgent since she has never called me during school hours. She would only call me when she feels like it when she is not busy.

I put the phone in my right ear and spoke into it. "Hello?"

"Wonho? You're still in school?" Her voice seems lighthearted as if she is happy to hear my voice.

"Yes, I am. Why are you calling?"

"I will be coming back on your birthday, it is this Saturday right?" I checked the calendar application on my phone once again to make sure that she wasn't wrong, there is 1st March, a Saturday.

"Yes," I replied. She wouldn't come back, I'm sure of that. She has never come back for 2 of my birthdays and of course, I spend them alone, sleeping really early when people would usually go out to celebrate, have drinks and come back home drunk.

Even if they were drunk, they were happy that they celebrated their special day with the people that they loved. If it was someone that they hated, they are still spending the day with people unlike me whom nobody would even celebrate because they couldn't be bothered to even remember my birthday properly.

"Why aren't you happy that I'm coming back? You have somewhere to go that day?" She sensed the uneasiness in my voice. Why would I even want to sound happy for someone that always broke her promises??

"I am free that day, really." I faked a laugh to fool her, telling me that I am delighted to have her celebrate my birthday. "Which restaurant would we be going to?"

"You choose since you are the birthday boy, I can't choose the whole time. You have the right to choose."

I came back to the classroom to have Yoo YiSeul stretching her body while keeping that glare at me, I used to feel so frightened but not now, she is just a hopeless human to me who decided to come back to school to finish her studies.

She spoke as soon as I took her seat and she tidied her hair. "Where did you go? I was sleeping and you didn't wake me up." She is speaking in her gangster tone again, she really needs to change or she is going to get targeted by real gangsters and she can't fight them back with all these casts on her body.

"I had to take a call," I told her. "Why are you even here when you didn't listen to the lesson? You are just here because of your extremely rich paternal aunt right?"

She smacked my head and I yelped in pain, all the students turned around to face us. "Shut up, you will disturb the other classmates who are trying to focus."

I apologized and whispered. "So you're playing the good student now? You're supposed to be a gangster, remember?"

"I'm a student right now, Mr. Shin. Focus on the lesson right now or you are so going to fail, I don't need to study and get As but you have to. You're just an average student." She said taking her notebook and I raised an eyebrow.

"I thought that you said you were smart?" I told her.

"Help my copy, I am going to take a nap again. I didn't get to sleep much last night." She stifled a yawn.

"But--"

"Thanks a lot!" She laid her head on the table after passing me her notebook which looked really new, I bet that she has never written anything on it. I rolled my eyes and looked towards the whiteboard which the teacher is writing down stuff with the chalk.

"Yeah, who was the one that called you just now?" She spoke without any precaution and I nearly screamed. Why is she not sleeping yet?

"Go back to sleep, I have to write all these notes and on your behalf as well," I told her without looking away from the whiteboard. "You are distracting me right now."

"Just answer me, it is just one question." She insisted. "Quickly so no one would know."

"My mother, she called me just now."

"For what? Did she call to make sure that you have drunk your milk this morning?" She teased. "Aigoo, your mother is so caring."

"Can you not?" I threw the notebook back to her. "Copy it on your own if you are not going to nap."

I heard the sound of someone slapping a book against someone's head and I stopped writing, all the students are looking towards the student who got hit by a book. "Seo JiSoo HakSaeng, how long are you going to sleep? I'm teaching and you are just dozing off."

The female student who got hit got up. "Why did you hit me for? I was just closing my eyes for a short second."

"Who is that?" Yoo YiSeul asked as she was watching.

I rolled my eyes. "Please, you are here longer than me and you don't know who she is."

"I told you that I didn't come to school for a least half a year and everyone looked so kiddy at that time."

"Is it? I could even see the drool coming out of your mouth and you are still telling me that you weren't sleeping." Everyone roared with laughter at how ridiculous that she tried to lie but she obviously failed.

"Fine, I admit that I was sleeping but how about Yoo YiSeul? She is always sleeping and you have never caught her for that." She pointed towards our direction and I could predict that someone bad is going to happen.

"She is always gone and she is always sleeping whenever she is here. How can you not scold her for that?" She continued. "I bet that she was pregnant at that time, that's why she did not come to school."

The table next to me for flipped over, Yoo YiSeul is angry for real. "What are you even bitching about, bitch?!"