Thirty-Nine

Wonho

I thought that I was ready to face her, to reveal my relationship with Son Hyunwoo who is going to be my half-brother in a month's time and we are going to be family but I wasn't ready. I know how exactly she would react and I am still going with it even though she is not happy to know that I am being family with Son Hyunwoo and I am still going with it, just to tell her what I am doing and I am betraying her.

Her face wasn't happy when she found out that I went to Son Hyunwoo and not her, I know that she is afraid of him because of what he did to her and she is afraid that he might do that to her again. And he will do that to her because she is not dead yet.

"Hey, what are you staring at?" He asks me as I wasn't looking at him at all. "Yoo Yiseul? You are close to her?"

I want to say that but I can't... I smirked. "Close? Who says that? She is just my neighbour and honestly, she is nothing more than that to me."

That is something that I never want to say to someone whom I considered as a friend, she was the first one who understood the complicated situation that I am in and she can give me the best advice on it. She is the first one whom I ever told her my deepest thoughts, my deepest secrets that I don't even say it out loud to anyone, not even my own mother.

She is someone that I think of more than a friend, she is like my sister who cares for me and is considerate of my feelings and sometimes she is more like a friend, something like a lover. And yet I am saying things that would hurt her for life, she will never forget what I have said to her and the whole class can vouch for it because they have all heard it.

I then watched her take it all in and then walked out of the classroom with her schoolbag with her, never saying anything and she never once turned back to look at me. She was very angry at the words that I have thrown at her and she will kill me if I go home later, I am prepared for that to happen.

She never returned back to class the entire day and my guess is that she skipped school although I have no idea where she went to spend the entire day, even though I have known her for the past few months, I am still a stranger to me because I still don't know much about her. And she doesn't know everything about me either, because I don't let anyone know everything about me, not even my mother knows everything about me even though I am her son.

And I spent the day after school to go shopping with my new half-brother, Son Hyunwoo because he wanted to purchase some new shoes for him and he wanted to get one for me as well because I am his new half-brother and we are going to be family. I couldn't refuse his offer because he would be mad if I don't go with him, and he might find me suspicious that I am not liking him.

At least I am getting some new shoes from him and not some new punches that he would throw towards me, that is the thing that I fear most about Son Hyunwoo. He is in charge of the nightclub downtown and his uncle is the owner without telling his father that he is involved in that kind of shady business, and in that nightclub, he does all kinds of shady that is being backed up by his uncle and no one outside the business knows that he is that kind of a person.

"What do you think about that one? That would look so good on you." Son Hyunwoo pointed to those black sneakers on the display case.

I nodded to give approval to something that I don't have a choice on and I am forced to do that in fear that he would hate me, I have to play the role of being the loving half-brother that he is going to have. "Great! Then choose for me something that I would like, maybe we could get matching sneakers and people would compliment us for being such loving brothers."

I would like to go home this instant... I pointed to the white one that looks a little different from the one that he had chosen for me. "Great choice, you have such great taste in fashion. You should totally help me out on this, I have something perfect for you to do."

"What is it?" I asked.

"You might not know me that well but I am capable of doing a lot of things and I have ownership in a lot of things as well." He said. "And I want you to help me because we are going to be family very soon."

Is this something I should be recording right now? But his arm on his shoulder is preventing me to do anything else, he is also way taller than me and he will definitely know if I am planning on recording his voice or not. "But I want you to agree to help me first, I need to get your trust and loyalty to this."

I nodded as I looked at him in the eye. "If you really want to, I can help you. I am going to be your brother very soon, as long as our parents get married, we are brothers already." 

"Right? That is what I wanted to hear, you are indeed the brother that I was looking for." He hugged me tightly. "Let's take a selfie to take note of this moment, we are definitely going to have more memories like this in time to come." He took out his phone and I stopped him by taking out my phone to take the picture instead, recording our first selfie together and I turned on the voice recording features as well, embarking on my first steps of becoming a spy.