Thirty-seven

Wonho

"You tell this to anyone in school about what happened earlier, you will get it from me and Yoo Yiseul will not be spared as well." This sentence rewind over and over in my mind like a broken Cassette tape, reminding me that I have to obey his words or I will not get back my freedom anymore.

I know that he will definitely do that, his uncle owns a nightclub and hosts boxing tournaments in his nightclub and he is in charge of it, his father surprisingly has no idea that his own son is engaged in such activities that his own brother influenced him in. The things that they do in the nightclub other than hosting boxing tournaments is what you normally see in dramas and movies, there are drugs and alcohol and more illegal stuff that you can't imagine but it is what a sleazy nightclub is like.

And Son Hyunwoo is part of, if I dare to disobey him, he would do the same like what he did to Yoo Yiseul back then and I might not even survive even though I am way stronger than her. But he is going to be my half-brother after our parents get married to each other, he can't do anything much to me because it would ruin his image of being the trophy son and the school president.

Everything that he had will be taken away from him if anyone found out what ugly things that he has done underneath his well-kept image, he will try to frame someone else for his wrongdoings so that he will continue to survive in this world to be viewed as a righteous and diligent person. That is what exactly a scheming person would do to protect himself, he would do whatever it takes to keep himself out from trouble and not care about anything else.

I have to go onto his good side if I have to survive in high school for the next few months if not school would be a hell for me with him being the class president. And if he knows my relationship with Yoo Yiseul, he will definitely try his best to get rid of her because she had offended him before and she almost lost her life back then.

But it will be good as betraying Yoo Yiseul if I decide to get chummy with Son Hyunwoo, I would have to give one of them up no matter what I choose and both choices are equally hard to decide and follow through and the first option is the easy way out and the only bad side of being good to Son Hyunwoo is that I will lose Yoo Yiseul as a friend for the rest of my life and I will deeply regret this.

I reached the doorstep of my apartment before I could realize and I made my way inside after reassuring myself that nothing much will happen no matter what I will do from now on.  The apartment is surprisingly empty and it doesn't seem like Yoo Yiseul is home yet, she told me that she will be spending the rest of her night just watching movies and eating the food that I have stocked up in the refrigerator for the two of us.

Maybe she had already gone home... I thought to myself and the front door opens, revealing Yoo Yiseul behind the door and she was dressed in her pyjamas. "Hey, you are home already..." She greeted me and I greeted her back with my back still facing against her, I can't seem to look at her properly without feeling guilty of what happened earlier at the restaurant. "What's wrong? Are you okay?"

"I'm okay," I replied to her.

"Ok, but why are you not facing me? Is there something wrong? Or..." She comes closer to me and I try my best to hide away from her, I am reluctant to talk to her for some reason. "You seemed weird, what happened at the dinner earlier? Did it not go well?"

I shook my head. "It went well and I am okay with the man's son, we got along quite well." That was the total opposite of my opinion about Son Hyunwoo going to be my half-brother in a few months' time.

"That's good to hear." She smiled slightly and then showed a sign of realization on her face. "Oh right, I forgot to tell you that I will not be spending the night here from now on and I will be going back to my own apartment, I forgave my aunt and things are back to normal."

Be happy, act happy for her even if you are feeling bad inside... "That's great! I thought that you will treat this place like your own house and never leave at all, I can finally be alone again!"

She nudged my shoulder and kicked my calf. "What is that reaction? Am I really annoying to you?"

I shook my head. "You have your own apartment, to begin with, you are just too stubborn to let go of your hatred." I looked down at her leg, the cast on her leg can be taken off next week. "And your leg is completely healed, you can even kick me now. I can't believe that it has been almost 2 months since that happened."

She nodded. "Yes, I can't believe that I endured 2 months of not kicking anyone and now I can finally do that again."

"Don't do that again, use your brains instead and focus on your studies, examinations are coming up in another few months and I can't risk you getting injured like that again." I paused for a moment, to stop myself from crying. "As your friend and classmate, can you do me a favour? Can you behave yourself for the next few months? It is for the best."

"Got it." She suddenly pushed me inside. "I have to get my luggage before my aunt starts yelling to get me back, she will probably think that I have regretted staying with her."

She retrieved her luggage from the guest room and rolled it out into the living room, looking up at me. "Can you do me a favour as well? Take care of yourself and make sure that you don't get made sure by anyone, I don't want anyone to see you as a weakling but you are way stronger than what others think about you." She got out of my apartment. "I'll see you Monday morning."

I closed the door and I collapsed on the floor, unable to support myself as my legs have turned to jelly. I can't believe that I told her that, as my last words to her before I decided to change myself entirely to become the person that I don't want to be. But I have no choice, she has a bright future and she can't allow the same thing to happen to her again. I will become the bad guy just for her so that nothing happens to her.