Twenty-Six

Yiseul

It was late at night and I finally could go home, it is past midnight and I don't think that he is still up. Even though he is not going to sleep in my room, I feel that level of awkwardness with him, Yoo Kihyun, that annoying cousin of mine. I already hate him from the first meeting that I had with him years ago, and now I hated him, even more, knowing that he was the one who hurt Wonho, he was the one who made Wonho wait years for him to return without any news.

Wonho was already very lonely with his mother being like that and Yoo Kihyun did nothing but to hurt him even further, making him more afraid of human relations and he had to resort to ignoring people everywhere he goes so that he doesn't get hurt. It is all because of these people that Wonho had become a person like this today, he has finally warmed up to me and I don't want him to go back into his shell again, it would take a long time before he would actually allow him to come out of his shell.

Everyone is asleep, even my studious brother who spends all his time studying has fallen asleep, there is no way that Yoo Kihyun is not sleeping yet. He will be a monster if he doesn't.

I tiptoed back into the house and avoided all the things on the floor so that I would produce no sound and I will be safe, no one will hear it and I will be fine. The lights were switched on all of a sudden and I stood frozen in my spot, my left leg lifted off the floor while the other is stuck rooted to the ground. Apparently, I wasn't as quiet as I thought...

"Where are you sneaking off to?" He asked, leaning his body against the wall where the switch is at. "It is midnight."

"I just came back ok? Can't you just go away and go to sleep? You have school tomorrow." I whispered, my brother had really sensitive hearing and would wake up to anything louder than 40dB. "You are going to wake my brother up with that volume that you are speaking."

He rolled my eyes at my demand. "Fine but you are still breaking the rules, why are you spending so much time at someone else's house other than your house."

"Since when it is such a rule? I can choose where I want to be at as long as I come back home to sleep, Wonho's place is just a hiding place." I told him. "Because you are annoying me."

He flipped his hair in such a disgusting way that I could puke. "Why? You are that attracted to me? Or you are just way too in love with Wonho? I know that the two of you are classmates and neighbours but you guys are way too close, too close to be considered as friends."

I blushed at the memory of Wonho hugging me tightly the other night and giving me nicknames and I cleared my throat to stop me from blushing. "It is none of your business. And I know all about it, how you got close to Wonho back in middle school and betrayed him."

"I betrayed him? I didn't, from what I remembered. I just didn't inform him that I was going to migrate to the states, I didn't have his contact number and I don't know how to go to his house."

"That is still the same! He was waiting for you to come to school and then he was informed by his teachers that you were gone for good and you are not going to come back here anytime soon." I raised my voice by a few decibels at him. I can't believe that he didn't think much about his departure would mean betrayal to Wonho, he thought that he would accept it normally and go on with life. "He is not like you, Yoo Kihyun! He is a human, he has feelings and he was sad about you not telling him anything about you leaving. That is why he became so cold to you when he saw you, he didn't want you to come back at all."

"Then what do you want me to do?" He asked.

"Don't do anything, just pack your bags and leave now. You don't deserve to be here, this house has no space now and you are causing all of that." I pointed my finger to the ground. "This is my house and it is not yours, I make the rules and you can't do anything about it."

I heard footsteps coming from my room and she stood there, staring back at me with such pained eyes. "Take back those words right now, Yoo Yiseul!" She heard everything that I have just said, she was there all along hearing me insult her son.

"YeongAe Ahjumma..." Seonho was there as well, his big eyes looking down with confusion.

"Do you really hate me that much? Are you that hurt over what had happened that year? Are you still hurt when no one was there to take care of you and Seonho?"

"Ahjumma..." I pleaded for her forgiveness. "I'm sorry, I'm really sorry." I got down to my knees.

"It's okay, you don't know the whole truth. You don't have no idea why all the adults were so against taking care of you and Seonho, there is a lie behind all of that."

Do you mean that it wasn't that simple? "Omma, please stop it now..." Yoo Kihyun goes to his mother, grabbing her shoulders. "We promised never to talk about that."

"I have to, they deserved to know now! When will they know if not now?" She pushed her son away. "Yiseul and Seonho, your parents didn't just die of a car accident. Your father killed your mother, it was a murder and he killed himself at the same time. That is the truth of that car accident, your father was a murderer to your mother. Your mother was caught having an affair and your father killed her because of that."