Chapter Two

I woke up to a bright light shining from above. "Mom? Dad? Jack-Jack?" I blurt out as loud as I could but it only sounded like a whimper instead. I felt a hand slide through mine.

"Violet, calm down. You need to stay still." I looked at the woman who was holding my hand. I did my best to point out who she was but my eyes were still blurry but I recognized the voice, aunt Mary.

"Where's Jack-Jack?" I asked, worriedly. "I can't see."

"Jack's at my house. He's alright and safe, thanks to you." She answered. " You've had a serious jead injury that the doctor's looking into now."

I nodded. "And... Uhm..."I felt tears well up my eyes as I already felt that I knew the answer to my question. "My.."

She tightened her grip on my hand as she became silent. I waited for her answer, hoping that the answer would come to my terms. "I-I'm sorry Violet. My sister died on the spot and your dad he-- uhm-- he died an hour ago." I felt my tears fall hard.

"No.. no.. No! It can't be! They can't be gone! No! No! I dom't believe you! No!" I exclaimed as  tried to stand up. "Mom! Dad!"I called out, hoping they'd answer back.

"Violet, stay calm! You're not allowed to move! The doctor said---" She shouted, worryingly. "I don't care what the doctor said, I want to see my parents!" I said, my voice cracking. "I just want to see them and tell them how much I love them!" I said as I finally had the strength to sit up. All these wires were holding on to me that I just had to pull them out. But aunt Mary called the nurses and in just a second they came, four of them. Two were holding me back. I pushed them with all my might but something went inside my body that just made me feel so weak. And finally, I couldn't move. The only thing I felt were my tears and no matter how much I wanted to shout, how hard I wanted to call out for my parents, I just couldn't. Then, before I knew it, I fell asleep.

"How is she doing now?" I woke up to aunt Mary's voice.

"Her CT scans are improving and will be discharged in about two days or so. Although we have seen different emotional patterns that might be because of the trauma that she had so I advice you to not talk to her about the accident and let's refrain from forcing her into any sort of conversations that might trigger her emotions. I also advice you to keep her in a peaceful place away from any loud noises or distractions." A man's voice said.

"Will she be alright? Should I worry too much?" Aunt Mary asked.

"No. Taking care of her is all you need to worry about. A few weeks from now, she'll be totally fine. Let's just give her some time to cope up with her new environment." The doctor replied. They became silent for awhile and then the doctor took a sigh. "I know this is a hard time for you and your family. But you need to be brave, Mary. You're all she has right now and she needs all the strength that she can get." The doctor comforted her.

"I know. It's just---" She said softly.

"Don't worry. I'll check up on her as much as I can. I will help you."

"You don't need to do that."

"But I want to." The doctor insisted.

Aunt Mary took a deep breathe. "Thank you, Harry."

A few days later, I was discharged and was allowed to go home. Wherever that is. Home seems to be too far away right now that this so-called home that we were headed to is more of like the end of the trail.

I just can't believe that I'm already alone, orphaned.

I didn't talk since we got out of the hospital. I just couldn't face anyone right now. I don't know what to do from this point on. I always wondered what if we hadn't taken that trip, what if we hadn't decided to move. We would've been somewhere else, together. My parents would still be alive.

The car stopped by a huge house and even though I'm still in the car, I can already smell the sea breeze. Aunt Mary went out of the car and helped me get out as well.

"Welcome to your new house Violet. Do you like it?"She said.

I didn't answer and just proceeded to go inside.

It was bigger inside and the house just felt so peaceful but empty. There was a huge chandelier hanging from the ceiling and a grand staircase was a treat to the eyes for anyone who came inside. I roamed the house once more and came out to the porch which was facing out to the beach and immediately, I saw Jack-Jack playing on the sand with Dr. Harry.

"Violet!" My brother came running to me as soon as he saw me. He hugged me tightly even though he was covered with sand. "Jack-Jack miss Violet." He said. 

I pat his back and gestured him to go and play. I know I should've hugged him back but I just can't.

I headed back inside and saw aunt Mary come in. "Are you hungry? Do you want lasagna? I know it's your favourite." She asked.

I looked at her and shook my head. I went up the stairs and looked around. There were four doors in different colors and design. One was colored green and had dinosaur prints which tells me that this is Jack-Jack's room.

The next door was yellow, which I knew was mine because no one in the family likes the color yellow except for me. It had four crowns embossed in it which were inspired by the royal crowns of the Pevensies in The Chronicles of Narnia. I am totally obsessed with the books. I remember saving up money just so I could buy one of the Narnia books when I was little and since then I was in love. I never understood why the movies never really made it big in the blockbuster considering how amazing the story is despite it not following the books each film were based on. I mean, it's NARNIA for heaven's sake!

I stood by my door, ready to open it when I realized that I had forgotten the two other doors. The next one was painted white and I knew for sure it was a guest room because it's too plain to be my parents's room. I'm pretty sure they would have put something silly in it because they were just as silly themselves.

And yes, I was right. I came upon the last door which was divided into two sections. One was for dad and the other side was mom's. Dad's side had pictures of his favorite superheroes and his pet dog, Bumble who sadly passed away a day I was born. Bumble was his dog since the age of five and 18 years later, he finally left him. Mom's side of the door had pictures of the band Abba. She was a huge fan of Abba and would constantly sing Abba songs. When she was still here, that was. But she always told me that the first time she saw dad 'Honey, Honey' was playing. And that was when she realized that that guy she was staring at would be her Honey in the future and went on to have two kids.

I laughed remembering how she would blush everytime she told me that story. It was as if she would have the same feeling as to the feeling she had when she first saw dad. That was everytime she told the story. Thinking about it now, she always had that eye whenever she was looking or staring at dad. The same eyes you'd have when you see your crush pass by or whenever you see that last piece of chocolate cake. That! Except when they fight then she'd have the 'I want to stab you 1000 times and feed you to the tigers' eyes. Never pleasing.

But now, I could never see those eyes. They're gone. They're not here anymore. I will never have the chance to talk to them again or hug them or watch movies with them.

Before my tears had the chance to fall, I quickly went to my room. I laid down my bed, looking up at the gold stars on the ceiling. I tried hard to push my tears down but I failed myself. I covered my face with the pillow and just closed my eyes 'til I fell asleep.