Chapter Thirty-Two

My phone has been booming since last night.

Axel has been sending me texts and calls non-stop.

But I just couldn't.

I still couldn't believe that he raised a hand on me.

I've replayed what had happened last night over and over again and despite how much I want to push it aside,  I can't.

"Violet." Aunt Mary called out. "Are you okay? You've been staring at your food for the past 20 minutes. Noodles don't take long to die, honey."  She said, trying to be sassy but failing at it.

I looked at her, trying to hide my thoughts. "I'm sorry. I'm okay, no need to worry." I replied.

She let out a sigh of relief. " Good. I thought you were pregnant." She jokingly said.

My head raised immediately. "What?"

Pregnant? How could I be pregnant?

"You look like a pregnant woman with a raging mood swing with that face. God, can't you fix yourself up at least?" She said, preparing Jack-Jack's bag.

I swallowed my saliva, relieved. "God!" I blurted, surprised.

"It really is halloween because I scared ya!" She said, feeling successful.

I rolled my eyes at her jokingly.

I will be leaving the house earlier than Aunt Mary today since she has to drop off Jack-Jack to her friend's house, as usual.

I asked Kristine to pick me up because I didn't want to walk to school today, thinking of the possibility that Axel might come up to me and talk to me. I just can't see him right now.

To think of it, I know that it was partly my fault because I knew how he felt about Tyler. And I really did try to keep things cool, but the thought of leaving Tyler in his state would be devastating for me. Tyler's my friend and I just couldn't let him wander off drunk. Who knows what could've happened if I left him.

But that's not the point.

Axel almost hurt me.

I don't know if that was out of anger or if that was the face of his schizophrenia. Still, either way, I can't see him right now.

I love him too much and I don't want to see him beg for my forgiveness because if that was a result of his illness, I don't want him to apologize for something that isn't his fault.

But if that was all out of anger, I don't know if I'll be able to forgive him easily.

No woman or man should experience violence from anyone, especially from the people they love. Nobody should live with the trauma that comes with it, the betrayal, the fear that never rubs off, and the memory from it. Not everyone can recover from it, fully. Even when you see them smiling, the pain still lurks inside them. And that's what hurts, feeling the pain but acting as if it's okay.

I heard the doorbell ring but Aunt Mary took the initiative to open it.

"Good morning, ma'am." An all too familiar voice spoke out. My ear twitched at his voice.

How did he find my house?

"Good morning, and who are you?" Aunt Mary asked, curiously.

"Uh... My name is Tyler, ma'am. I'm Violet's schoolmate." Tyler said.

I choked at the mention of his name, and although I didn't see them, I know they were looking at my direction.

"Violet? Honey? Are you okay?" Aunt Maru asked, worryingly before she invited Tyler to come in.