Chapter Twenty-Seven

Axel took a deep breath as if he was building his confidence and placed the glass of the table.

Aunt Mary leaned back on the chair, sipping her grape juice.

"I'm in love with your niece." Axel said.

My eyes widened in shock as the words left his mouth and I looked at him completely surprised. I then slowly turned my eyes to aunt Mary who was completely unfazed. My eyebrows furrowed looking at her.

Why isn't she moving? Didn't she hear him? Is she mad? Am I going to die?

Axel cleared his throat. "Ma'am, I'm in love with your niece."

I looked at Axel and he was slightly worried---- impatient at aunt Mary's delayed reply.

Aunt Mary put down her glass on her hand, supporting the bottom of the glass with the hand. "I know."

My eyes shifted to her faster than a bullet. "What?" I asked.

Could it be that she knows about my relationship with Axel? Does she know that Axel has been coming to my room often?

"I know." She said. I looked at Axel, worriedly as if telling him that we're about to die but he smiled and gave me a little nod of assurance which didn't really do me anything. "How else would you explain to me the flowers and your awfully clean look that seemed as if it took you five days to prepare for this." She said.

My mouth dropped. "Are you okay, Aunt Mary?"

"What kind of question is that? I am." She said.

"You're not mad?"

"Why would I be?" She said, smiling. She shook her had as she looked down, giggling. "You thought I'd be mad at both of you?"

I nodded. "Yes! Because that's how it is supposed to be." I said.

She looked at me, checking me and then she took a deep sigh. " I would be mad at you---- furious! But any guy who comes to a house to confess his love is proof enough that he's worthy." She said, shifting her gaze to Axel. "I know that it took a bucket load of courage for you to come here and I appreciate that. I know how it feels to be in your situation because I've been in this situation before." She said, returning her eyes to me. "Growing up, your mother and I had no parents. We grew up being our own parents, that means having to face a bunch of guys who wanted to have my sister."

I bit my lip at aunt Mary's testament.

"I am glad that you came here to tell me personally how you feel about my niece. She's been through a lot the past month and I'm glad that someone will keep her company in her stay here. But I hope you understand that there are things that we should keep off limits, right?" Aunt Mary said, crossing her arms.

"Yes, maam!" Axel replied, and then shifted his eyes to me. "I'm going to take care of her no matter what happens." He said.

I swallowed myself right then and there. "Okay!" I exclaimed, feeling really awkward. "I think you have a party to get too aunt Mary." I said, picking up the glasses of grape juice. I looked at Axel. "And you need to go too." I said.

Aunt Mary looked at me in confusion. "What's wrong with you? He just got here."

I nodded. "I know. And he needs to get his butt out of here." I said, trying to avoid Axel's stares.

"No, it's okay, ma'am. I just remembered, I have an appointment to get to." Axel replied, standing up.

I looked at him, rolling my eyes to which he just shrugged off.

"Well, if you say so." Aunt Mary said.

I placed the tray back on the table and escorted Axel to the door.